Day 2 of Tour, Tallinn, Estonia!


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
June 16th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Freedom Square StatueFreedom Square StatueFreedom Square Statue

Freedom Square Statue
So on Day 2, after losing an hours sleep due to time zone on the ferry, we said hello to Estonia and its capital city, Tallinn!
It was a beautiful medieval town, with cobbled streets and its old 16th century gates and walls remaining.

We started the tour in the Freedom Square, representing Estonian history in its story to eventual independence after aiming to rid itself from Russian, German and Swedish influences. Today Estonia is a country now independently run and has its own parliament, (but remaining part of the EU).
We had a really cool hostel, it had air hockey and pool tables and a nice lounge area to socialise in, but the games got competitive! We socialised with other people on the tour, too, meeting people from New Zealand, Germany and Czech Republic. Obviously, myself and fellow Welsh society member had something to talk about with our friends from New Zealand and it didn't take us long to get started on RUGBY! They even taught me how to do the first stages of the Hakka and said they enjoyed their time in the Millennium Stadium.
A lot of us talked about how we'd want to come back to
Estonian Parliament BuildingEstonian Parliament BuildingEstonian Parliament Building

Estonian Parliament Building
Tallinn, because it really was a lush city, a lot different to Stockholm because it wasn't as busy and felt a safe area.
But the highlight of Tallinn, (from a student perspective) was the night time - PUB CRAWL!!!! It was MENTAL. We had what was called a 'cocaine shot'; a shot of absinthe lit on fire, so after taking an initial shot, if you were still alive you'd suck in the fumes and continue to sniff the rest of the absinthe. Thankfully, our future president of the society did the sniffing for me, *lightweight*, but we had to be careful how we described our antics on the ferry the next day, couldn't exactly go around shouting that we had done cocaine! Easily misinterpreted!! We ended the night dancing and then drunkenly playing on a 5 stringed guitar in the hostel in the early hours of the morning.



I'll remember Tallinn for its beautiful city and culture, and its surprisingly interesting and crazy nightlife.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The infamous Cocaine Shot!The infamous Cocaine Shot!
The infamous Cocaine Shot!

The infamous Cocaine Shot!
Night outNight out
Night out

Night out


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb