Q: Why do Elephants have big ears?


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
October 22nd 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

i keep forgetting what day it is! very lame! well, it's wednesday, yesterday was tuesday and the last time i wrote one of these was monday, so here's the old 'what i've done since last time' entry. it's been a nice couple of days, so strap in for some cheeriness.

arrived in tallinn a little earlier than expected monday night, it must have been about 11pm i think. i decided that the wisest move would be to get a taxi to the hostel and then, as i hadnt slept since sunday morning, sleep my little chops off. so yeah, got into the hostel, checked in, and put stuff in the room. there were quite a few people hanging about in the communal area, so i thought i'd go down and say hello and all that jazz. anyway, it turns out there are some really ace people in this hostel. minutes after coming back downstairs, a girl called Liis (she works here, but thats a pretty loose term in this hostel) suggested going for a drink in the bar across the road. So me, Liis, an irish guy called Dara (awesome guy, absolutely awesome) and an australian called Clint (the aussie version of geordie ben, without doubt. ben, its actually quite scary the similarity), went across to this bar for a few drinks. I had some really awesome conversations, about the usual jiff i talk about, and it was just nice. i am however, a little sick of being asked if i do philosophy. i'm genuinly considering doing it, just so that i can start saying yes to that question.

anyway, we decided to leave the bar at around 3, so we headed off. got outside, realised clint was still inside. so after about 15minutes of standing around waiting for him, we decided it was probably the wisest move to head in and get him, as they were kicking people out when we left. so dara and elijah (another aussie working in the hostel) headed in, and a few seconds later they were back out with an estonian guy, and they were all mid argument. for some reason i decided to get involved, but i wasnt much help to either side. i did however, manage to distract the estonian man long enough for the other 2 to go back in and get clint. just when people are thinking of just going to bed, clint sticks his head out the door and says, 'im gonna stick around here with these guys for a bit'. cheers.

so that was monday. tuesday involved waking up at around 10ish, and then heading off. one of my absolute favourite things to do in these small cities, is to walk and walk so much that you get lost, and then find yourself. its a great thing to do, as much as mum will probably worry at that. you see a lot that you wouldnt see if you followed a map, and it is certainly very relaxing at the same time. plus i got to sit on a lot of benches and just look, think and all that garb. i've said that to a lot of people a lot of times, but i could happily sit on an eastern european bench for hours. i just like it. so i walked around, took a lot of photos and generally was happy. i listened to sigur ros and gregor samsa, and i've read most of brave new world already. there was another entry into the 'comedic eastern european' signs folder when i saw a sign that said 'kiek en de kok'. i'm not sure what the translation is, but the universal translation would probably be 'a very bad time for mankind'.

got back to the hostel in the late afternoon, and had a nap. naps are ace. the couchsurfer that i was originally going to be staying with had text me with the offer of drinks that evening, as well as another couchsurfer that i had spoke to before i came. so i napped, and then headed out for drinks. i asked dara if he fancied coming along as well, and he did, which was cool. so we headed to the old town at 8.30, and got a little lost. tallinn is small you see, but narrow, and most streets do look the same. but we got there, met up with Rein (couchsurfer man number 1) and headed off for another little tour of the city. rein certainly knows some awesome views. i started yapping away about the usual philosophy rubbish however once he told us about this toilet they had built by a monument, and how much it cost. that certainly sparked the 'money for better use' debate. nice!

we got drinks, and i got food, because i was starving. oh! side point, i had got a pizza earlier in the day from a restaurant, and the waitress was absolutely beautiful. it was if elijah wood was a hot girl. good work waitress! anyway, evening, i went for a slab of bacon and french fries, on account of the description of the bacon. SLAB. it came, it was eaten, it was ace. i called anu (couchsurfer girl number 2) and they were in another bar, so we headed over to them. lovely evening! anu is awesome, rein was awesome, dara is awesome, so it was just a nice night. i even got in my personal belief that cheeks are one of the most attractive things on a female! aftera couple of drinks at a place called luxurs (i guarantee thats incorrect spelling, but it translates as the hairdresser), we headed to a bar they had told us about. supposedly it was the only bar in estonia that stays open until stupid oclock, and was the bar that EVERYONE was in when its past 2. so we were pretty interested in this bar, sounded like a popular place, so off we went.

it was the bar we went to monday night.

another nice night, and another late morning. im about to leave to meet up with anu for what im told will be a day of dumplings, table football and walking. i dont like dumplings, im rubbish at table football and im too tired to walk, but its going to be an awesome day.

A: Because Noddy wont pay the ransom.

Advertisement



24th October 2008

Good boy John John
Sounds more like my little boy again,good to hear you are enjoying yourself and meeting some good people lots of love Daddsy,Mum and all xxxxxX

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb