Day Two


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ghostwriter



Firstly in response to JamesĀ“ comment we have not taken a ghostwriter with us on holiday but as a joint blog it would be rather annoying to have to do otherwise... perhaps I (fiona) shall take up the royal we in future...

Day Two


The day started late as we slept in still rather knackered from the Stansted epic. Met up with Andres, a former Jasmine di Milo colleague, and went for lunch at the rather posh looking "Vertigo" restaurant which was on the top floor of a rather tall building as the name may suggest. It was all sleek and showy but had an amazing view over the city and was actually rather good value so we monched a delicious caesar salad each.

In a rather unexciting portion of the day we made it to the international bus station to buy out tickets to travel to the island of Suremaa and its capital Kuressaare (if thats how its spelt... so many double letters in the estonian language its ridiculous). When we got back we were by this time in desperate need of a coffee at which point I (fiona) suffered another ill-timed nosebleed, although if there is ever a convenient time Im yet to find it.

So for the afternoon we had planned a "Beautiful Bike Tour" for a bargain price. It was brilliant and has almost converted me (fiona) from a bike hater to a mild bike liker. It went to sooo many places that we had read about in the guide book but would otherwise have been difficult to see. These included:
- The Rotermann Quarter with dun dun dah... a salt warehouse
- Kadriorg Park which was built by Peter the Great for his wife and contains the presidential palace (which is pink, a colour which apparently symbolises power), the modern KUMU art museum, an ornamental garden and a half finished japanese garden!
- The Song Bowl which is where up to 35000 estonians can go and perform at their song festival and remembers the singing revolution which led to the second estonian independance. Apparently there was a human chain from Vilnius to Tallinn which involved around 2million people and 95%!o(MISSING)f the estonian population.
- Rusalka Memorial in memory of a russian ship which sqank
- A soviet "liberation" memorial which is now left in ruins because the estonians viewed this liberation more as occupation by the Nazis and Soviets
- Pirita beach and St Bridgets convent
This tour lasted about 4hrs and was absolutely the best thing we could have done here!

After such hard work the day has finished rather lazily with some classic student food of pasta+saus+ches for dinner and chilling out the hostel ready for our coach tomorrow morning.

Hopefully at some point we can post some of the pictures but we cant connect the camera on this computer at the hostel 😞
Now to bed....

Advertisement



29th July 2008

thankyou for answering my query, this blog does seem quite informative, i shall try and remember some of these unusual facts to impress/draw curious looks in the office

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb