RØMØ Frisian Island


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
June 16th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Porta LooPorta LooPorta Loo

On the massive sandy beach on Romo island
Today we are on Rømø, one of the Frisian islands off the West coast of Denmark.
We drove here across a 11km long causeway from the mainland. This area is the flattest we have seen - rather like Holland except the windmills here are wind turbines made of concrete and not as pretty as Dutch windmills. The wind-turbines remark is our only even vaguely critical comment about Denmark so far as we like the country a lot (and the turbines are only small ones and positioned well away from any houses).

Rømø is very small being only about 6 miles long by 4 wide. Quite easy to find the sea from most points.
First stop was in the south where we found an area right down to the sea which was fenced off as a nature reserve so we took a lovely walk along the back of the reserve where we watched some great big chocolate coloured hares racing around at high speed stopping occasionally to try to make baby hares. Lovely to see them as well as oyster catchers, sandpipers, whitethroats and linnets.

From there we visited the fishing harbour where a ferry had just come in from
Beach barBeach barBeach bar

Stopped for a coffee on the beach
Germany or more exactly from the German island of Sylt just about 2 miles south of Romo. Not surprisingly there are Germans everywhere and especially on our campsite.

From the fishing harbour we found our way across the island to the west and an absolutely superb beach. Miles of hard packed golden sand on a beach ½ mile wide in places. Wonderful place for flying kites.
We drove onto the beach and parked about a mile along. Had a lovely walk along the sand which is covered in crushed shells and having dipped my toe in the icy water I decided swimming was not an option. Having said that the weather has been glorious all day, cornflower blue sky and lovely sun but out of the sun the wind is still very chilly. We then got our chairs out, made a drink and read in the sun for a while until it was time to find out campsite for the night.

Rømø Familie Camping is on the East side at the top of the island and very good as it has free wifi.
Went for a stroll after tea to take photos of some of the thatched houses
Map to RomoMap to RomoMap to Romo

Map showing the causeway and Rimo island
which seem to be a feature of the island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb