Around the world in 35da..hours


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Syddanmark » Kolding
April 4th 2008
Published: April 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, i'm going to write a travel blog, too! Where to start? How about right now. Having done the typical Will thing of leaving it to the last minute, I awoke on the 2nd of April thinking "Damn, I gotta do some stuff today!". On the bike I hopped after a minimal breakfast, and headed for the NRMA. There I got an international drivers licence, then quickly went to Alexandria to get a new pair of shoes. Shoes are really all you need for travelling I think. Back home and into the packing, which, with the help of Anna, was finsihed 30min before leaving for the airport. Yikes, airport? I'm going somewhere? Apparently I was, and that fact is still slowly sinking in. After a few tearry goodbyes, and 7000km, I was in Hong Kong well before anything in the terminal was open. Found a comfy couch in a quiet neighbourhood and listend to The Knife on my mp3 player. Once the shops opend it was duty free time. Picked up a new cologne for about 60% of the price in Oz. Hopefully, unlike duty free alchohol, it isn't stronger.. I was due out of Honkers at 930am, but due to varoius factors we didn't actually leave until 10am. Overflying China, it was easy to see(sic) that it is the home of the fastest growing industrialised nation on earth, as I could not see the ground from 30sec after take off until a few hrs into the flight! Later on during that flight, as I was looking out the window(something I did for 76.% of the time), I was enjoying the view of a frozen Russia from 35000feet, and what I thought were roads stretched out like spagetthi over the lansdscape. I soon realised that I was looking at the froxen sea surface, and so what I thought were roads were infact paths ways carved by ships sailing through the pack ice! You had to be there I guess. Anyway, back to the delay.. you can probably see where it was heading! It meant I had a grand total of 30min in Helskini to deplane, go through securtity and find the next gate. Sure, it's a sauna disguised as an airport, and is quite efficient, but 30min was never going to be enough. As I was walking through the aerobridge I could see my little British Airways plane being boarded by those who weren't messed around be Chinese air traffic control. Off to the transfer desk it was, where I was rerouted to Buillund via Copenhagen, and due into Builland after the last bus to Kolding had left. I instead said I would get off in Cph and take a train from there. Judging by the very po mo library I now find myself in, it appears to have worked. The very Nordic looking woman who reverted to Finnish by default, only to recieve puzzeld looks in return, gave me a coupon to the value of 8eur with which I bought a sandwhich and a hot chocolate. The drink was self serve and dispensed from a machine pre mixed, and I have to say, tasted better than those from either Campos or Cafe ISM! At the ckeckout the register read 6eur, so I grabbed a choc bar, some gum and licqurice to bring the total closer to the 8eur I was entilted. After a very smooth and uneventful flight from Helsinki to Copenhagen, I headed to the baggage reclaim area. Whlist waiting for 'AY667' to be displayed alongside a carousel number, the bags belonging to a woman who was on my flight appeard on number one. 'Great', I thought my bag and bike will be here soon. I saw them laoded on the flight in Helsinki so they would have to be off pretty fast. Perhaps they were, but they didn't make their way to the carousel! After 40min of waiting I filed a missing bag report, along with two other passengers from my flight. Turns out they continued to Buillund without me, which is as I suspected. So, armed with a camera, some books, Hypnose by Lancome, and a change of undies, I left the airport and headed for the train station. 3hrs and countless microsleeps later, I was in Kolding where I made my way to my aunt Kanne's house. Into bed and I was out like a light which had recently been turned off.

Ps. Photos to come when I get a USB cable.. thats the one thing I realise I have forgotten(so far).


Advertisement



4th April 2008

Just because you arent in Uni.. doesn't mean you can forget paragraphs.
4th April 2008

my work is done
so you went with hypnose? good boy! you will thank me when the scandinavian women flock around you for reasons they don't even understand themselves, but you and i both know it's because of that seductive scent. i'm getting your texts, but am too cheap to text back as i don't know how much that will subtract from my account each time. we miss you over here. cheers,
5th April 2008

Sex Panther
It smells like a used diaper filled with Indian food!
6th April 2008

Cable
Cable winging its way to you... waiting for the pics :-)
14th April 2008

Party
Hej William. Glæder os til at se dig! Lisbeth

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb