Rodbyhavn-Lollan-Falster-Mon Islands in South Zealand, Denmark


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Sjælland » Stege
June 2nd 2014
Published: June 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

From Germany to Rodbyhavn-Lollan-Falster-Mon Islands in South Zealand, Denmark

2-3 June 2014

After the 45 minute ferry trip from Germany to Denmark, we arrived at Rodbyhaven. We had coffee and cakes and donuts on the ferry, very unlike us having food for morning tea. The ferry trip was a well oiled machine with no delays. We even saw the train catch the ferry!! We were amazed to see it on the ferry and it was the first 'vehicle' off. The Germans can do anything.

We then started our drive over the 3 southern Zealand Islands, Lolland, Falster and Mon which were all joined by bridges. The country-side was beautiful. All the crops were growing beautifully. We saw a couple of paddocks with canola flower but most had not flowered yet. We saw some crops which looked like oats. We saw a lot of crops for stock feed. Every now and then there was a little rise of the land but mostly flat as far as the eye could see.

Our next stop was the spectacular Mons Klint which are chalk cliffs. Geology buffs like our friend Doug C would be very interested in discovering that the eastern end of the island were created during the last Ice Age when the calcareous deposits from aeons of compressed seashells were lifted from the ocean floor. The gleaming white cliffs rise sharply for 128m above an azure sea. This is worth a Google for more info.

We walked along the cliff face to get as many sightings as possible. it was really impressive. There is a national Park which surrounds the cliffs, which is heavily wooded. We came across 2 couples riding their bikes through the forest and found there were a lot of bike tracks through the forest.

We then went back into Mons (the town) and found the Mons Klint Camping & Resort. Again it was a lovely spot with restaurant, Put-Put course, pool and plenty of room. As the summer holidays haven't started yet, the park was reasonable quiet.

The next morning we headed west, for Vordingborg a town known for its festivals and cultural events. It's also a market town as well as the capital for the municipality which includes South Zealand.

We went to see the ruins of the Castle where there is now an interpretive Denmark Castle Centre. This is where some of the festival is staged. As the castle was wooden, there is only the Goose Tower left and some of the ramparts and bits of the moat. There was also a restaurant built.

We then drove north to Neastved, Ringsted and Roskild, staying off the motorway. We came across numerous little villages which having speed limits of 40kms per hour, it made the going forward pretty slow but very enjoyable. We decided to mix it up a bit so headed for the motorway.



We stayed on the motorway until we got to Helsinger which is the last town in Denmark before catching the ferry to Helsingborg in Sweden


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb