Sakskobing - Final days in Denmark


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Sjælland » Lolland
September 9th 2010
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Copenhagen to Sakskobing


Wednesday & Thursday 8th and 9th September 2010

Wednesday 8th

Today we hit the road south towards a ferry crossing back to Germany.
We stop over at a small town called Sakskobing which is situated at the end of a fjord and is a pleasant location to rest and get a spot of school work and essential domestics done.
The area is famous for its apples and we purchase some with a bottle of freshly pressed juice from the roadside.
In town we treat ourselves to the local speciality a type of apple pie and take it home for supper. ( see pics )
The apples are very good and have a fantastic aroma ( they taste good too ! )

Thursday 9th

Its maths and art this morning. The art session is paper cutting based on Hans Christian Andersen's masterpieces seen in Odense.

In the afternoon despite rain setting in we visited the small sea side town of nysted. Here there is a visitor centre ( thats us out of the rain ) dedicated to the offshore wind farm about 10 km offshore, unfortunately we could not see it as the weather had closed in.

We learnt some interesting facts about wind turbines and power generation using them.

Nysted Havmollepark ( nystedwindfarm.com ) has 72 wind turbines. Each generates 2.3 Mega Watts at full tilt. That's a total of 165.5 Mega Watts or an awful lot of 1 bar electric fires to you and me ! Enough to provide 145,000 homes with power.

The turbines were made by Siemens ( sorry Geoff ) will turn in a light breeze ( 3km/hr ) and produce full output in a strong breeze of 13km/h. The blades are 40 metres long and each turbine has 3.

I felt a certain pride when I learnt that the main cable connecting the wind farm to the shore was manufactured by Pirelli in London and is the world's largest and heaviest at 11km long and 800 tonnes.

Friday 10th

Up and off to catch the ferry to Germany from the port of Gedser back to Germany.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb