Baltic Cruise


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Nordjylland » Skagen
July 17th 2018
Published: July 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our first Baltic cruise takes into the Baltic with hopefully the highlight being 2days in St Petersburg



Apologies for time delays but Internet on board is as usual poor and EXPENSIVE



8th July



Southampton in the July sunshine, what could be better than a sail away from the UK in 31 degrees of sunshine.



Within 24 hrs of leaving home we were in think fog in the North Sea and it was 15 degrees with the promise at the end of the day of a Force 7 gale.

What a difference a day makes!!! Well at least the restaurant was quiet.



10th July

Skagen



After the travails of the previous day and a bumpy night it was our first port of call



Goddag from Skagen.



This is what’s called a ‘filler’ port, a half day visit so we don’t spend any longer than two days at sea.

At least the weather was set fair for the day.

Skagen sits on the northern tip of Denmark pointing towards Sweden and its sandy point is where two seas and two beaches meet.

It’s a pretty little town with a small population which is swelled when cruise ships berth and local holiday makers descend.

Having only 4 hours, its either an organised tour or an amble into town and a walk around, there are plenty of yellow and red clapboard houses, churches and museums.

Art galleries are abundant because of the history of artists descending here in the 19th century and the Skagen Museum has a display of there works mainly seascapes.

Very expensive - £10 for two small coffees.

Leaving at midday, we were then cruising into Kattegat and on into the Baltic Sea, heading south going under the bridge that spans that part of the world (I’ll remember its name for when we return.



We then start to head North towards Stockholm which we will reach after a full sea day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.553s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb