First walk around Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 16th 2015
Published: September 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Copenhagen walk

This isn't quite the route I took, but it shows the stops I made. From the station I walked to the water canal along Nyhavn, then to Amalienborg, Frederiks Kirke, Kastellet, Kongens Have, then back to the station.

A typical alleyA typical alleyA typical alley

Just another alley in Copenhagen. To me, the street lights and cars look out of place between these old houses.
For my first weekend in Denmark, I decided to take a look around Copenhagen.

It was a good day for a walk in the city, and one of my housemates came along too. Our house isn't quite in Copenhagen, so we took the train and metro to get there. We already knew where we wanted to go, but since neither of us had mobile data, we went to the nearest information centre to get a map.

Walking through the streets and alleys, it was interesting to see the mix of old buildings with some newer ones. There are old churches, palaces, castles, fortresses, theatres, libraries, etc. scattered around the city. I mean, really old. Hundreds of years old. You don't see that in NZ. Of course, there are plenty of statues too.

After seeing a canal, a palace, a church, a fortress, and a castle, we headed back home. We had done a lot of walking on cobblestones. Cobblestones can lead to a very uneven surface; walking on them for a long time made flat ground feel like a dream.

See the photos for the rest of the post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Water canalWater canal
Water canal

Water canal along Nyhavn. It has the most colourful row of houses I have seen here. There are a few boats (lower left) that do a tour of the canal and harbour.
Market by the canalMarket by the canal
Market by the canal

This street was packed with people buying and selling food. Much busier than every other street that day. I bought a delicious banana and nutella crepe from one of the stalls.
Amalienborg, a royal palaceAmalienborg, a royal palace
Amalienborg, a royal palace

According to wikipedia, Amalienborg is where the royal family stays during the winter. It has four buildings that face towards the open area in the middle.
Statue in the middle of AmalienborgStatue in the middle of Amalienborg
Statue in the middle of Amalienborg

Some guy on a horse. Probably someone important. Idk.
Frederik's ChurchFrederik's Church
Frederik's Church

There are many churches here, this is one I happened to visit.
Organ in Frederik's Church Organ in Frederik's Church
Organ in Frederik's Church

It blows :P Actually, it probably sounds good, but I didn't get to hear it. The church was a very quiet place, as everyone was asked not to talk as they entered.
Bridge to KastelletBridge to Kastellet
Bridge to Kastellet

Kastellet is a fortess. It is surrounded by water, and the border shape is somewhere between a star and a turtle (google maps: http://bit.ly/1UnWmhW). Kastellet is on the right of the photo.
St Alban's ChurchSt Alban's Church
St Alban's Church

As seen from Kastellet. The steeple is extra pointy in order to prevent blimps from landing on the roof, probably.
Cannon at KastelletCannon at Kastellet
Cannon at Kastellet

There was a cannon pointing out at each of the five points of Kastellet. They may not be active any more, but there are still soldiers that walk around the fortress with guns.
Windmill at KastelletWindmill at Kastellet
Windmill at Kastellet

It wasn't windmilling when I was there. However, there were some wind turbines visible from the other side of the fortress/island. Denmark is very flat and seems like a good place to harness wind.
Rosenborg CastleRosenborg Castle
Rosenborg Castle

At the Rosenborg Castle Gardens. I didn't get there in time to go inside the castle, unfortunately.
Statue at Rosenborg Castle GardensStatue at Rosenborg Castle Gardens
Statue at Rosenborg Castle Gardens

...yeah, I'm going to have to pull that tooth out.
The bike goddessThe bike goddess
The bike goddess

It's a tough job. She has brakes, but still tyres.


3rd September 2015

Great Photos
The windmill looks just like some I saw in the Netherlands. Crepes with Nutella and bananas were selling in Paris too.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb