Öland SWEDEN to Copenhagen Denmark


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 20th 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Accidentally got up an hour early as the several clocks in the Tandy are set on odd times, non Swedish, and I miscalculated ! A nuisance as campsite office didn’t open until 9am and we were ready to leave at 8.
Managed to get on our way by 8.45 heading west to Malmo. First we had to cross the long bridge to the mainland then we followed the same road, the E22, nearly all the way across southern Sweden. Took one short detour when Bob found a minor road we could use instead of the E22, as I tend to nod off on motorway type roads. I immediately woke up and very soon spotted a bright summer-coloured deer in a clearing.
Uneventful but pleasant drive as the countryside is very pastoral with plenty of cows and lots of fields full of ripening crops. It seems the fields are planted with alternating types of grain which makes them look much prettier but suppose that is not the reason they do it.
Nearing Malmo we decided to use up our Swedish Kroner by filling up with fuel. That proved a challenge. The first three garages we tried only accepted payment at the pump, via credit card, for diesel.
Eventually managed but at a stupid garage which also acted as a fast food outlet and a supermarket (sold food which needed to be weighed). With only one girl serving at any one point it took quite some time to actually pay for our fuel but we did manage to dispose of the currency.
We bypassed Malmo via the ring road and soon enough we passed a sign which said ‘ last exit for Sweden’ and then we were onto the dramatic bridge which links Malmo, Sweden and Copenhagen, Denmark. This was not a cheap crossing at 750 Sek (£65) but it also included a tunnel as about 3/4 of the way across there is an artificial island from which a tunnel disappears under the water and pops up again in Copenhagen.
We found our City Camp as we came into the city thanks to Clarissa Tomtom (though she is reluctant to give advice when under long tunnels which can be disconcerting).
As it was still early we walked into the city and spent the rest of the afternoon visiting the rather wonderful Tivoli Gardens. The funfair was amazing - fast, dramatic rides right in the middle of the park and all almost on top of each other. Lovely flowers and buildings and an awful lot of people having an extremely good time. We watched a little ballet performance (free) at the Peacock theatre then walked back to the Tandy via the canal. Loved the way that all the buildings which line the canal have reflective glass in the lower windows so the buildings on the other side were reflected as we passed.
Tomorrow we will explore the rest of the city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Tivoli GardensTivoli Gardens
Tivoli Gardens

Ballet performance


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb