Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 28th 2009
Published: August 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today, we are leaving Copenhagen. We had a wonderful time here. The weather was incredible: sunny and warm. Three days ago, we arrived in the middle of the night and were able to sleep at Mette and Magnus´ appartement throughout the whole time. We got their contact via our last couchsurfers. We feel so lucky 😊 The first day in Copenhagen, we drove by car downtown and walked around the touristy places: the Radhus (town hall and centre) and ran into an open air design exhibition. Very cool, especially for Adam 😊 Then we went shopping. Its incredible how well dressed the Danes are, we were really impressed by their sense of style and so we bought new clothes and shoes at h+m and urban outfitters 😉 We got used to the Danish Krowner (the currency) pretty fast and some of the language is similar to German, so I could understand a little. When we came back from sightseeing, we played with Theo, the 2 year old son and helped our hosts prepare dinner: Lamb roast Danish style. Really good! We provided desert: a melon from the Hamburg fishmarket basket and chocolates from brussels. Mette advised us to go to some very cool places and gave us a few tips how to get around.
Yesterday, we took the train downtown and then got bikes for free- its a new system the government thought of to make people more mobile in Copenhagen. Great for us not having to pay for transportation 😊 We rode our bikes along the pier and over to Christiania, a in 1971 by hippies for independant declared small part of town. Everything there is very left-wing. I loved it alot. There are no cars allowed, so everyone walks or rides bikes. There are a lot of old houses with artsy pictures on them, bakeries, workshops, hippies. Vegetarian restaurants, small bungalows with miniture gardens. We probably got the cheapest food there we could get in Copenhagen. What was very weird to us,was that some people smoked marijuana on the streets eventhough it is forbidden of course in Denmark. To get a picture of it watch:
&feature=related
After Christiania, we took a nap at Christians Haven. Very pretty and calm place. Then we biked over to Nyhaven, which was my favourite place in Copenhagen. A little harbour with boats all around, bars, restaurants and cafes. People were just hanging out and so did we. After a soft ice cream, we rode our bikes to the statue of the little mermaid where we hung our feet in the water. Very refreshing since it was so warm 😊 We made omelettes for dinner to thank our hosts a little bit for being able to stay with them and then Adam and I went out for drinks. Since the train only goes until 12 am, we had to leave after only walking around a little. Too bad. But then, we might just come back 😊 We are heading towards Stockholm now and will camp on the way the next two days. Kalmar is our next destination at the east coast of Sweden...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb