Copenhagen Open Air Museum


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 19th 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Copenhagen Open Air Museum prides itself in preserving past ways of living, including displaying old homes, intact with the technologies of that day, and village level technologies such as wind and water mills.

They have moved many old homes that would otherwise have been destroyed, usually wall by wall, and sometimes stone by stone. It's an ongoing living museum, where artisans in traditional garb, use traditional techniques to restore these old places.

The windmill had millwrights who not only explained the mechanical functioning of the mill, but started turning the windmill blades to show how the windmill could be turned into the wind. Yes, the entire building is on a pivot and can be turned by two men. This also meant such mills had a maximum weight for the entire building, and thus a restrictions on how many grinding stones could be in operation inside.

This was before the Dutch style wind mills were invented where only the top part that held the blades could be pivoted. That way, there was no limit to the weight of the whole structure.

One of the homes on display was M..'s ex-wife's great grandfather's home.

We finished the day at an amusement park, where W.. got to ride a few rides, including a roller coaster and bumper cars. It's amazing how these carnival style amusement parks have perfected the art of applying a vacuum cleaner to ones wallet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb