Home again, briefly, then off on a Scandinavian adventure in Astrid 2


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Eskebjerg
May 15th 2019
Published: May 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

2 April – 15 May 2019



After returning from the Caribbean we did the usual annual jobs and visited friends and family. We collected Astrid 2 and stayed with James's parents for two nights to get to grips with her controls. It was very kind of Maria and Martin to let us have a couple of nights in a real bed, also giving us time to check for faults before we left the dealership area. Until we drove back to Anna's in Wantage we did not have the bedding and cooking utensils to sleep in her so it was lovely to have some luxury before we moved into Astrid. The four of us went to a quiz which turned out to be a speed quiz, a new experience for us all. By the end of the night I think we had decided it was probably not our forte but we did have a lot of fun and we won a glass of milk!



We revisited our favourite sites at Burford on the edge of the Cotswolds, Henley and Abbey Wood near Greenwich. Pauline and Colin planned to visit us in Abbey Wood and as their
Cosy inside with birthday cushionsCosy inside with birthday cushionsCosy inside with birthday cushions

I sleep up 'on the shelf' behind the little curtain. It is the size of a small double bed but roof about 30cms above my face when lying down. Very comfortable.
friend is a volunteer at the Crossness sewage pumping plant nearby they decided to call in there too. I have to say it did not appeal to me much but Jim wanted to go so we decided to meet up there with P & C as it was only a short bus ride away.



I knew nothing about Crossness and am generally ignorant about sewage systems so had an image in my head of a small dark and dingy room with a large boiler in it and a pumping machine. I hoped only a few people would be there otherwise the room might be crowded! What a surprise I was in for. Crossness is a superb Victorian construction built to provide London with an efficient system of waste management, huge, elegant, light and spacious containing four giant pumps, only one in working condition at present. Originally a village was built adjacent to the site as people were needed to keep everything running smoothly and it was so isolated the only way to keep it manned was by having a community living on site.



Within the building, in addition to the pumping area, there is an exhibition of material and information about how Crossness came to be built, the complete history including more than you ever need to know about toilet design. It is fascinating. Honestly!



In 1858 London suffered 'The Great Stink' when during an exceptionally long hot summer the smell of human waste was so bad that Members of Parliament could not continue working at Westminster. The lack of rain meant the Thames was failing to wash waste out to sea as it usually did, although it is true to say that was never a satisfactory state of affairs anyway and outbreaks of cholera from contaminated water supplies occurred frequently because sewage was not dealt with effectively. As a result of The Great Stink the government decided something had to be done to protect the city from disease and foul smells so they commissioned Sir Joseph Bazalgette to design and implement a sewage treatment system.



Astonishingly, only seven years later in 1865 Crossness was opened with great fanfare and a grand banquet for hundreds of important guests, including the King, held within the pumping station. Some of the exhibits show pictures of this event.



The message in all this for me was the skill, ingenuity and perseverance of the Victorian engineers but also how vulnerable we are when we live in cities. Quite a scary thought. It would not take much to undermine crucial infrastructure in towns which could quickly lead to a return of cholera and other diseases. Anyone wanting more detailed information can check out the Crossness website. If you are near the area I would recommend a visit and they even have (a clean and cosy) coffee shop with delicious treats. So much for the expected cramped, noisy, dirty and smelly machine room.



Bazalgette also designed and supervised the construction of the Thames Embankment.



From London we went to Eastbourne and had a great couple of weeks, seeing friends, eating and drinking far too much and finally celebrating my birthday in style. Thank you all!



With Astrid fitted out and comfortable we set sail (as they say) through the Channel Tunnel. I think they have decided it is better marketing to use traditional language like 'make a crossing' rather than remind people they are going down deep below the sea. It always feels good to see daylight again on the other side.



The first night we stopped at a free site at Wissant which we have used before, simple, functional with a lovely little village adjacent. We walked into the village in the evening to stretch our legs and visit an ATM and were pleasantly surprised to find a street food market taking place. It all looked very tempting but as we had just eaten we had to abstain.



The next morning our journey proper started and for the next three days we traveled in a north easterly direction, out of France, across Belgium and the Netherlands until we reached Denmark. Each day we drove for three to four hours across mainly flat terrain that varied from heavily industrialised to rural, and which was largely uneventful. The most exciting moment was when we stopped for fuel at a service station and then parked to visit the facilities. Jim stayed in Astrid while I trotted the couple of minutes walk from the large vehicle park to the entrance then downstairs following the sign. There I was met by a bank of pay turnstiles and I had come without money. My need was getting greater so I looked for help but saw no-one. However next to the turnstiles was a child's free entrance consisting of a cut out shape big enough for someone up to the age of four or five to walk through. It was too small for me but needs must so I dropped on all fours and scuttled through like a crab. Then I stood up quickly on the other side just as the lady in charge came out of the cubicle area. I was so lucky. If she had been two seconds sooner I would have had a very embarrassing moment.



As we entered Denmark we had no route in mind. Our ultimate destination is Norway if all goes to plan but it is still not open for business. Most sites and tourist activities don't open until the last week in May or beginning of June so until then we will potter about in Denmark and Sweden. Even Copenhagen does not open it's campsite until 24th May.

So we headed to Jutland and the small town of Ribe (pronounced Reebuh with a population around 9,000), the oldest town in Denmark. It is full of medieval buildings, a cathedral, St Catherine's church and monastery, Viking museums and all surrounded by a pretty river frontage and water meadows. The weather was perfect, cool at night but with bright sunshine all day. Our site is set around a fishing lake and especially morning and evening it is surrounded by people sitting patiently with rods in hand. We are staying three days as there is so much to see here.



Next we shall make our way towards Copenhagen, moving in on the 24th as soon as they open. More about that hopefully in the next blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb