Goodbye and Hello


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
August 3rd 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.0878, 14.4205

After a week in Germany with Marielle, we parted ways at Hofbahnhof station. Friday the 2nd of August meant goodbye Marielle, goodbye Jas and Matt, goodbye Munich, goodbye Germany. It also meant hello to a new city and a new country. We waved Marielle off on her DB train at 2.50, bound eventually to Brussels to meet her family. The week had flown by, with lots of fun times in Berlin and Munich.
For Nat and I, at 3.50, we had a bus to catch bound for Prague in the Czech Republic. It was a bit of a challenge finding our bus, but what a bus it was! Better than a plane or train. Leather seats, TV screens, service, allocated seats and heaps of leg room. Alas, our seats were in front of a bunch of young guys, loud, obnoxious, drunk and disruptive. When asked by the bus hostess if they were bothering us, I said yes, and we were moved to the front to enjoy the trip in peace and quiet. 6 hours later we were in Prague.
Getting to the hotel by train and foot was a bit of a challenge, especially with strange road names, changing road names,
Our RoomOur RoomOur Room

Barcelo Five
some bad luck and a crappy map. By 10.30pm, we made it to Barcelo Five Prague. It was a nice enough room, comfy and air conditioned with weird disinterested service. We went to grab a midnight snack, only to find the last guest had nibbled all the nuts and lollies, and resealed the packages as new. Lame.
We slept in this morning the 3rd, til around 11am. We had no real plans, but to explore the city on foot and see some of the main landmarks. We woke in crispy cool air conditioned comfort. It would be a bit warmer outside today; a scorching 40C. We tried to take a more casual approach, taking the train to the city centre, keeping to the shade, drinking plenty of water and enjoying a beer and cider stop. We gathered plenty of nice ideas about what to do in Prague, tours, shows, music, theatre. We both love the city. Its beautiful, old, affordable and relaxed. So much so, we've booked a further 3 nights here, once our 3 nights at Barcelo are finished. We did see some impressive things today, the Astronomical clock, the Tyn church, the Old Jewish cemetery, old town, the Charles Bridge, Old Town Square and Jan Hus monument.
By 5pm, we were scorched and headed back to the hotel to make arrangements for the next week and rest before dinner. We booked another Prague hotel, overnight train to Dackow in Poland, accommodation there and a tour to Auschwitz Extermination Camp.
Dinner was delicious local food and beer nearby. A pint is $2AUD here. The whole meal cost us $25-30 for us both with a couple drinks. Tomorrow, who knows what we will do. Prague is not a demanding place for monuments, but beautiful and captivating to explore. We will see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st August 2013

Yeah, I know what you mean about strange street names. Lisa and i, due to crappy directions, spent quite a while trying to find our hostel, bit the cheap beer and goulash definitely made if for it!

Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb