Bratislava - Saturday


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
September 8th 2012
Published: September 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On the bus at 8 for the trip to Bratislava. This is the capital of Slovakia (Used to be Czechoslovakia). Bratislava and Vienna are the two closest capital cities in Europe, 60 kl apart . But Bratislava was behind the iron curtain until 1989. We passed through the border gates and could see where the two fences were separated with mines field. Our tour guide told us about when the wall fell and the people came through to Vienna. You could tell easily who they were by what they were wearing and that they used to stand and stare in the shops windows. . Bratislava is another Baroque style of town but the difference is that under communist rule no money was spent on maintenance or repairs of the old town and people were moved into rather ugly multi story utilitarian buildings. Old architecture wasn't valued and the result is rather run down buildings with an air of decay. The best shabby chic ever. They are starting to do restoration work and there are some lovely new shops and bars and restaurants but still not many people actually live there. The ultimate do up town. Back to the ship for a late lunch and rest before the farwel Gala dinner After dinner the crew put a bit a a show. Dressing up and doing skits and generally making fools of themselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb