Czech this out!!!!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
May 9th 2007
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kutna HoraKutna HoraKutna Hora

The bones were dug up to be put in the church..
Funny times had in the Czech Republic........... mainly owing to the great British guys we met there- Joe and Andy.. who were staying in the same hostel room as us and were continuing on to Cesky Krumlov at the same time.

We arrived in Prague after a quick flight from Hungary.. we thought this would mean a nice and easy arrival. We were wrong. We got in too late for normal buses and so had to wait for night ones, an hour later in the freezing cold one came, and then there were a couple of changes on to dodgy looking trams and then we were dropped with no map and no idea in Prague somewhere in the vicinity of our hostel but not really. 4 hours after we left the airport we arrived at the hostel. Cold and sore we went to bed.

To awaken to a lovely day in which we explored Prague on foot and set about changing our first impressions of the city from the night before. This wasnt hard to do as Prague really is magnificent.. from the castle to the river to the streets you could wnader for days to the cheap
Good timesGood timesGood times

The Aussies, the poms and a Brazilian
Chinese restaurants... we loved it all.

The party highlight in Prague was at the four storey club affectionately known as Middle Earth (the real name is unpronouncable and this is what the boys named it).. we raced to try and get there before ten to get in cheap.... but of course there was a line up and so we missed this. The entrance fee was worth it tho as we were greeted with four flors of.... 12 year olds! Seriously cant believe how young people are in clubs in Europe. Anyway, drinks were bought, courtesy of a very generous Australian who thought it would be a good idea to get a round of double Absinthes (i didnt realise it was double til after id drunk it, and chez didnt know til next day!!) Good music, good company and good times... a great night until some there was a bit of a biffo (also didnt find out about this til next morning) and Andy ended up in hospital with a dislocated shoulder and stitches above his eye. Alls well that ends well tho and we hope the guys are enjoying their trans siberian experience. It was Seedyville population us the next day... but thats the price you pay i suppose!

I had a day with Joe and Fillipe the crazy brazilian in Kutna Hora checking out the bones castle (im gonna cut and paste here, gotta love Wikipedia!!)

~~ Henry, the abbot of the Cistercian monastery in Sedlec was sent to the Holy Land by King Otakar II of Bohemia in 1278. When he returned, he brought with him a small amount of earth he had removed from Golgotha and sprinkled it over the abbey cemetery. The word of this pious act soon spread and the cemetery in Sedlec became a desirable burial site throughout Central Europe. During the Black Death in the mid 14th century, and after the Hussite Wars in the early 15th century, many thousands of people were buried there and the cemetery had to be greatly enlarged.. Around 1400 a Gothic church was built in the center of the cemetery with a vaulted upper level and a lower chapel to be used as an ossuary for the mass graves unearthed during construction, or simply slated for abolition to make room for new burials. After 1511 the task of exhuming skeletons and stacking their bones in the chapel was, according to legend, given to a half-blind monk of the order. Between 1703 and 1710 a new entrance was constructed to support the front wall, which was leaning outward, and the upper chapel was rebuilt. This work, in the Czech Baroque style, was designed by Jan Santini Aichel. In 1870, FrantiĊĦek Rint, a woodcarver, was employed by the Schwarzenberg family to put the bone heaps into order. The macabre results of his effort speaks for itself. Four enormous bell-shaped mounds occupy the corners of the chapel. An enormous chandelier of bones, which contains at least one of every bone in the human body, hangs from the center of the nave with garlands of skulls draping the vaults. Other works include piers and monstrances flanking the altar, a large Schwarzenberg coat-of-arms, and the signature of Master Rint, also executed in bone, on the wall near the entrance~~

This was creepy but great (like watching RPA or Nip/Tuck- when you want to look but cant really bare it!)


It was then on to Cesky Krumlov for a change of pace and after a 7 hour nightmare of buses and the slowest train in the world we arrived. I loved this place, it was cute, quiet, the castle was different to all the others and the beer was cheaper than water (seriously it was a dollar for a litre). We had a lovely time rolling down the river singing Chelsea Dagger 'Chelsea chelsea i believe...'




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

View over PragueView over Prague
View over Prague

From the top of the 287 steps up the clocktower in the Castle
The boys..The boys..
The boys..

Crazy Brazil..Andy and Joe
Do not go out with this manDo not go out with this man
Do not go out with this man

His generosity can lead to trouble... in the form of double absinthe shots.. served in a tumbler.. green fairies all round!
Kutna HoraKutna Hora
Kutna Hora

This church contained the bones of 20,000 people
Good King Wenceslas...Good King Wenceslas...
Good King Wenceslas...

looked out on the feast of Stephen. Wenceslas Square


19th June 2007

Now your nurse Amy!!
If teaching doesnt suit your fancy u now have something to fall back on, lol!! $1 beers, great stuff......glad u saw the little green fairies. Keep on moving, see you in 2 months Beks x x
19th June 2007

Hi Amy, I also loved Prague particularly the bridges and the beautiful buildings. It makes Adelaide seem very superficial in terms of history. Hope you've managed to stock up on a least one piece of crystal, the down side is that it is pretty heavy to carry around with you. Great to hear your news. Lots of love, The Robbos.
19th June 2007

really nice blog. and good pictures, I just did not like why, always Crazy, you can put some thing like Funny Brazilian, or Cool...(laughs) I miss you guysssss.. lets do another trip. I am thinking about australia for next year. will be cool see you girls. byee.
19th June 2007

glad youre both staying outa trouble!!
Hey Girls, fun times all round it seems! Do you know how jelous you make us poor suckers back here in Aus in a 9-5job!! he he he no great to see your having a blast and enjoying the big wide world, heading to Cairns this weekend for a 30th and to meet Finns bro should be fun! will write emails soon miss you both heaps oxxoxoox
20th June 2007

look at all the pretty buildings
The difference between your travelblogs and others is like czechers and chess. This enrty is like a Czech mate!! Beer and buddy's, looks liike fun! Did you guys Czech out the world renowned beautiful Czech girls? Did the guy friends at least pick up the Czech? Ok, thats all the Czech references I have...
28th June 2007

Cheap beer
More talents...now your a nurse! You never cease to amaze me...ha! Every place you tell us about has an attraction, this place for me would be the litre of beer for $1!!! That is a cheap night!! And thank god i wasn't there in that night club of 12 year olds, that would make me look like GRANDPA Luke!! ha! Anyway, keep us updated, take care! xx

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb