Brno: Finding the Jawa


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Surprise encounter with a Jawa, the brand of Czech bike Phil used to ownSurprise encounter with a Jawa, the brand of Czech bike Phil used to ownSurprise encounter with a Jawa, the brand of Czech bike Phil used to own

Phil's model was never this flash, and he painted his orange so no one would steal it, which worked for a while.
Little did we expect, when we headed for the Museum of Technology in Brno, that we would run into an emblem of Phil's past. But there, within the exhibition of vehicles, was the Jawa motorcycle. It was a fancy model of the Czech brand of bike that Phil had when we met, the bike he took me around on in those early days when I was a terrible pillion rider, always leaning the wrong way!

The museum was a refreshing change of pace from baroque, rococo, gothic, and romanesque to fly wheels, pistons, cogs, crankshafts, forges, dies, capacitors, glazes...

And Brno, the second largest city in the Czech Republic, was a delightful place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

And this is it! The very model of the 2-person bike he tried to keep upright with me on the back.And this is it! The very model of the 2-person bike he tried to keep upright with me on the back.
And this is it! The very model of the 2-person bike he tried to keep upright with me on the back.

I give him credit, he arrived with a helmet for me, and that was way back in 1973.
The Museum of Technology in Brno was most impressive.The Museum of Technology in Brno was most impressive.
The Museum of Technology in Brno was most impressive.

Vehicles, engines, computers, cameras, glass, ceramics, metallurgy, weapons, and much more, including a great experiment room for children.
When the display is of heroic cosmonauts, you know you're not in the USA.When the display is of heroic cosmonauts, you know you're not in the USA.
When the display is of heroic cosmonauts, you know you're not in the USA.

This showed a mixed crew of spacemen, including a Belgian, as well as Czechs, Russians and others.
Brno's main square has a central statue with a base of boulders.Brno's main square has a central statue with a base of boulders.
Brno's main square has a central statue with a base of boulders.

And produce markets all around, with wonderful fresh strawberries and other spring fruits and vegetables.
Statues, statues everywhereStatues, statues everywhere
Statues, statues everywhere

A very impressive thing about Brno is that the statues and the buildings are all cleaned up. That heavy black coating from air pollution has been washed away, and the second largest city of the Czech Republic was twinkling in the sunlight.
This muse danced outside the music schoolThis muse danced outside the music school
This muse danced outside the music school

And he was supposed to be black and glossy.
Chimney cakes being madeChimney cakes being made
Chimney cakes being made

A popular treat in Central Europe: a coil of dough wrapped around a metal roller, rolled in sugar and cooked. Rather like a tall spiral donut chimney which can then be filled with cream or icecream. Pretty full-on as a snack.


28th May 2018

Enjoy ??
Funtastic and hope you enjoy every single moment.
5th June 2018

A surprise encounter
I can just image you two lovers on a Jawa together!! Lots of love, M xx

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb