A Lakeside View


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our last night in Germany was peaceful and quiet and having packed and sorted we hit the autobahn at 9.30am, next stop Czech Republic.



Woolly says – this was a new experience for me and Ian, Jo had been to Prague in the past and rates it highly but even she hadn’t been to the southern area. The drive through was easy and passed with a succession of CD’s, most appropriate of the moment was 2 4 6 8 Motorway which we sang along happily to. We had our passports ready but flew through the border with not a barrier or officer in sight. Jo and Ian told me about the days when every time you went to a new country you had your passport stamped, how wonderful that must have been, I would need a new one by now after all these countries.



The drive although only a short one was beautiful, the countryside still looked like Germany but somehow it wasn’t, it had a whole feel of its own. We followed the road round Lake Lipno and found Camping Frymburk easily.



Woolly says – it was gorgeous, right on the shore with wonderful vistas across the lake. As Jo went to book us in Ian, Ollie and I sat admiring the views. Jo arrived back telling us that there was only one pitch left on the site but they wanted us to check it out and make sure it was ok for us. Having looked and approved back we went to reception.



Although the Czech Republic is in the EU it still has its own currency and we were currently only holding Euros. Luckily we could pay for the camp with them so for 19 Euros or 450 CHF (approximately £15.90 GBP) we had a pitch with good facilities and a view to die for. A quick set up and we gathered our stuff and walked the 800 metres into the town of Frymburk itself.



Woolly says – the town dated back to 1277 and although the buildings didn’t look that old they were very pretty, painted in bright colours they made a cheerful view and a tree lined walk down the centre of the town was lovely to catch the shade. We wandered through the town trying to work out prices converting them to sterling and Euros, all this money is very confusing. At the change office Jo was handed over a 1000 CHF note which seemed a lot to me. We took a stop for something to eat and found the menus in many languages including English, brilliant! Ian and I went for pork strip and potato salad while Jo attempted to order salmon and a baked potato. Our beers came and although nice and cold they weren’t as good a previous ones. I think we’ve got used to German beer now! The food took a while so we sat and people watched and wrote the heap of postcards that we have been neglecting. Jo’s meal arrived with a huge pile of crushed potato and bacon which she quickly shoved onto Ian’s plate whilst grabbing some of the potato salad. Asking where her baked potato was we were told it would be there immediately! Ian’s pork was ok but a little dry and the mash wasn’t up to much while Jo rated her salmon dish a 7/10, having finished our plates the baked potato made an appearance only to be met with a shrug from Jo and it being returned to the kitchen. Getting the bill took ages and at last we were able to pay our 380 CHF (they tried to charge for the potato!!!!) (approximately £12.50 GBP).



With the sun still shining we wandered back to the site, it’s a shame we only have the one night here but it’s a place we would all like to return to in the future, next stop Austria.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



2nd August 2013
Beautiful Views

Exploring
Nice photo
2nd August 2013
Beautiful Views

Why thank you....
I think this is my best side, or do you mean the lake!!! Love Woolly

Tot: 0.543s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 57; qc: 182; dbt: 0.2482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb