Southern Bohemia


Advertisement
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After 6 glorious days in Prague, we headed off to Cesky Krumlov in South Bohemia to find the weather was rotten and the campsite was beautiful, but pretty average facilities-wise. Although on the banks of the misty and picturesque lake Lipno, Coco summed it up by saying "the lake looks pretty from the tent but when you go down there, there's lots of gross stuff" (the lake isn't actually dirty, but loads of fishermen means lots of scales, bones and beercans line the shore). We made the most of the bad weather though, by spending the afternoon "packing our faces" (as they say in Edinburgh) and playing boardgames. The campsite was happy to let people build campfires so we had an awesome evening making gourmet baked potatoes and trying to stop Aidan landing in the fire.

Cesky Krumlov the town is very beautiful, the highlight being the 14th (?) Century castle - all furnished and safely back in Czech hands after years as an Austrian nobleman's hangout. The best feature is the moat, which has two bears in place of water...I know very Dr. Evil, but they didn't have any sharks with lasers attached to their heads.

After three nights here, we decided to make a run for the south, although the weather was better it was still pretty cold and damp and we needed to dry out a bit. Italy was calling.

Although it might sound a tad miserable, we really enjoyed ourselves here and it remains one of the most striking places we've been to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Sign of things to come...Sign of things to come...
Sign of things to come...

...not that we knew this at the time!
mmm!mmm!
mmm!

Our reward for setting up in the driving rain!
Fierce guardians...Fierce guardians...
Fierce guardians...

...Their enclosure is acually much nicer than it looks in this shot
TrdelniksTrdelniks
Trdelniks

Delicious Czeck snack
...after shot...after shot
...after shot

Lipno on a clear morning
Swordplay...Swordplay...
Swordplay...

...all our pacifist values gone out the window


4th October 2008

wow bears
bears in a mote, differnet.....did you go to the Bones church/ cathedral?

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb