Day 29 - Cesky Krumlov


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Ceske BudejoviceCeske BudejoviceCeske Budejovice

Brewing vats. Nice copper
What a day. A visit to the Budweiser brewery in Ceske Budejovice. This brewery is the original Budweiser. Evidently there were 2 Budweiser brothers, and one went to the USA and the other stayed in Czech Republic. They both built breweries and unfortunately the USA brother set the patents etc. first, so when the original one sends its beers overseas, it has to rename it because it doesn't have the patent in those countries.

We wander around the site, learn about the brewing methods, the different strength beers (they have one that is 20% and only available in this town) and the huge amount of storage they have when brewing. We are taken into the cool rooms where the beer is finally made into the actual stuff that is then bottled. Huge vats in about 6c storage. We get a tasting and John is singled out have the special glass, the rest of us get plastic cups. This beer is unfiltered so very fresh, and very cold and nice. A few don't drink so some of us get an extra one, or maybe two..... This is extremely nice, and it is after 1200 (somewhere)......



We then go
Ceske BudejoviceCeske BudejoviceCeske Budejovice

John with his special glass
into the bottling, labelling and packing room. The machinery is amazing, however there was a breakdown in one of the bottling machines and also a packing one, so the line got held up for a while. Could have watched this for ages, but must move on. Back into the souvenir store, another t shirt in the bag and away to Cesky Krumlov.



This is a medieval town which is on an island (river goes all around the main town) and our coach can't get in so we walk the 5 minutes to the hotel while they transfer our cases by smaller vans. Drop off the carry on luggage and off for our walk of the town, lunch and then a tour of the castle. Kari Anne anoints John and I as assistant tour guides. She has to go up to the castle to get the tickets, and to save time, she asks us to guide the group up to meet her at the foot of the castle. Oh dear, responsibilities aplenty....



The four of us wander around the town and look at all the small shops and windy streets. Back to the square and
Ceske BudejoviceCeske BudejoviceCeske Budejovice

Bottling machinery
get some water, then move to our allocated meeting point. Kari Anne has given us instructions and a rough drawn line on the map on how to get to the castle, over the bridge, follow the road until it forks to the right, we then are to take the hill to the left until we get to an arch, then turn left. Easy.. Until I get to some steps that go up, and the road stays flat and goes to the right. Up the stairs we go. One of the guys asks if we are good, of course (hmmm). Must be right, there are lots of people going up and down and the castle is on our left. Get to the top of the stairs and the castle entry is just above us, and down the road is Kari Anne waiting for us to come through the arch. Hmm, short cut. Oh well, we got them there, I call Kari Anne and she turns around and laughs. Not a problem. Our jobs are safe and we get an extra free drink tonight......



Tour the castle with one of their guides. Interesting, but ABC (another bloody castle). Get
Cesky KrumlovCesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov

View of the city from the castle
some great shots of the town from our high viewpoint. The rest of the day is free so Chris and I go off for a wander. Decide to go to a restaurant on the river, sit and get a snack and drink. Really pretty spot where a creek merges into the river. Lots of people in kayaks, rafts, etc floating down the river. Peaceful break where we order some fries and prosciutto and melon. Very nice snack before our organised dinner. Back to the hotel, but first we find another back road and a different angle of the river and also the back of our hotel. There is a terrace bar that looks over the river as well. We finally get to the hotel and there is a courtyard with a small market. Interesting hand made stuff. Into the hotel and find the terrace. Guess what, there are a few sitting having a drink. We join them. Better get our room having heard some of the comments from others, large rooms, etc.



Get our key, we are on the top level. Open the room and we have a hall type entry, bathroom to the right (large), then
Cesky KrumlovCesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov

Part of the castle and other buildings in the town
the bedroom - wowser. Urge room with beams coming up in the forward part of the room, big bed in the middle at the end. In the left hand side of the room, there is a kings type of throne, and on the opposite side, 2 court type chairs with a side table. Very gothic. Just have to remember if I get up in the middle of the night, not to hit the beams in the middle of the room. We have drinks on insight in the bar before our dinner. Down to the bar at 1800, beer, wine and bubbles available. Kari Anne makes speech to thank us and identifies the frequent fliers, some with 5 insight tours, etc. and thanks us on behalf of the company. I chat with Alex (the driver). Nice guy, English not crash hot but he communicates quite well. I suggest that I change from beer to red wine. He shakes his head telling me the wine is crap. I taste and agree with him. He slips it back on the bar and says I should get another beer, that is what they do well here. Ok.....



On to our dinner.
Cesky KrumlovCesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov

Our medieval room
We had to select a restaurant 3 or 4 days ago, and there were maximum numbers on each of the 5 restaurants. We picked the most popular one that turns out to probably be the worst one. Greeted by the waitress who has a strange habit of twisting her head and rolling her eyes. Hmm, not sure what she had been on but lots would like to share it I think..... A few others said the same thing. Waiter is also disinterested, but we get drinks as ordered, and food starts to arrive. Nothing flash but edible. After we get our deserts the waiters seem to disappear. Even when some people walked into the stair ant they were abruptly moved on. That is when we notice we are the only ones in the whole place. Oh well, the company was good if the meal was ordinary. Decide that bed is a better option now so back and off to the room for another early start. The bags have to be transferred to the bus so need extra time so they have to be out earlier than usual.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cesky KrumlovCesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov

That chair


Tot: 0.37s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb