Bones 'n Stones


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
July 9th 2014
Published: July 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Prague to Vienna


When we heard there was a church just outside of Prague called the Church of Bones we all agreed that we needed to see this on our way to Vienna.

The village of Kutna Hora is home to a small roman catholic chapel called the Sedlec Ossuary aka the Church of Bones. In this church there are approx 40,000 to 70,000 human skeletons, in the centre of the church there is a chandelier made out of one of every bone in the human body. There is also a coat of arms made solely out of arm bones. There are literally thousands of human skulls and bones everywhere.

It was with a small (read large) amount of trepidation that I entered the chapel, however it was not as macabre as I had imagined it to be, the feeling inside the chapel was peaceful. This is truly a unique place and something I doubt I will ever see again. You can't help but be moved and amazed at the same time. If you would like to read more about the history of the church of bones ...Google!

When we think of Europe we think of cobblestones of course! The second part of this post is for my work colleague Gordon, who is a European history buff. I promised Gordon I would send him some photos of cobblestones, they're everywhere after all and not that easy to walk on I might add. You have to admire the glamorous local women who strut their stuff on cobblestone paths in high heels! (Sorry Gordon no pics of them)..enjoy!

Next stop..Wien!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Coat of ArmsCoat of Arms
Coat of Arms

Made out of arm bones of course.


19th July 2014

All seasoned travellers have been to this church - Cath and Michael Bateup, Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Borman (Long Way Round) and Kerrie and Greg Lane! We agree - this church is really worth a visit!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb