Finally getting to Prague!!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
October 25th 2013
Published: December 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Happy British Citizenship Mel!Happy British Citizenship Mel!Happy British Citizenship Mel!

Right before we left for Prague, we got to celebrate with Roseanne, Mel & Ewan. Congrats Mel!!
Lots of people have said to us "how is it you lived in Europe for 5 years and never made it to Prague?" Our standard response was that we had saved it so we would have somewhere great to go back to when we came to Europe again. We can now tick Prague off the list.

Kimmy found us an amazing apartment in central Prague, about 2 minutes' walk from the famous square with the overrated clock. Our apartment was a huge one bedroom and every morning we got served an incredibly large and delicious breakfast that was slightly different all three mornings.

Typical menu: omelette, orange juice, coffee, tea, croissant, sweet pastries, fresh fruit, meats and cheeses, buns, yoghurt, and cereal.

We were able to easily put together lunch from our breakfast leftovers!!!!

The thing to do in the town square, aside from staring at the overrated clock and protecting your valuables from pickpockets, is to get a 'free' walking tour of the main sights. We know this sounds like a scam, however, the tour really was free (the guides work exclusively for tips). We had a fantastic three hour tour and learned so much about the city's history. We also learned about a great Czech beer hall called 'Lokal' that we later visited. We also enjoyed our free tour so much that the next day we booked on a castle tour with the same company.

We spend part of a day climbing up Petrin Hill, which turned out to have the most amazing views. We enjoyed walking around the city for 3 days in gorgeous weather, which did mean that we didn't get to any museums. Oh well...next time!

Dinners out were amazing, however, Czech food is very heavy. Lots of potatoes and pork. One of the best restaurants was stumbling distance from our apartment and we ate there twice in three nights. It was there that we learned the awesomeness that is Becherovka: a Czech digestif that reminds me of Alpine bitters. It was supposedly invented by a pharmacist as a digestion aid. It really works. After a large meal of gnocchi with sauerkraut, onion rings and pork ribs, we tested and proved its greatness. Prague really is a beautiful city with an amazing history and we are glad to have finally made it there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Some Prague specialtiesSome Prague specialties
Some Prague specialties

Meatballs & goulash!


28th January 2014
Old Town Square at night

Wow that looks amazing, so much history I love it :)!!
28th January 2014
Death saying our time is coming

Oh wow thats a bit creepy, very interesting :)!!
28th January 2014
Prague Castle

Wow so majestic :)!!
28th January 2014
Gardens we stumbled upon randomly

What a beautiful place :)!!
28th January 2014
View over the Jewish Quarter

Wow beautiful :)!!

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb