Ruffled Feathers in the Czech Republic


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 3rd 2012
Published: August 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The scruffy, middle aged man in a makeshift uniform of blue vest and trousers asks for my ticket, which I hand over obediently.

His face remains expressionless, “Passport?”

Though I comply automatically, I knew this was not being asked of the other metro passengers passing through… Allie hands her passport over too.

“This ticket is expired. You must pay a fine of 800 crowns each,” is what I hear as he shows me a pamphlet with the same words written in English.

What then ensues is a heated and unsuccessful argument leaving us feeling slighted for being a few minutes past our single use metro ticket. Especially since we also had purchased a day long ticket, though had not yet activated it, it seemed the metro authority was more out to profit off the already life-blood economy of tourism and unsuspecting travelers rather than maintaining a civilly functioning public transportation system.

However, the experience was yet another reminder and lesson in the importance of turning the other cheek. We were in the wrong after all. As with any amount of money, the 40 dollar ticket was not the end of the world. Also, we met plenty of other friendly Czechs during the rest of our stay.

Some say Prague is the most beautiful city in all of Europe. I’m already tilted, so you decide.







Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



11th August 2012

Re: the 40 dollar ticket
This happend to us as well. We had bought a ticket for families, and when the patrol stopped us he asked us where our kid was. Unbeknownst to us, the family ticket required you to have a child - so each ticket turned out to be 30 bucks. Yeah, sure, we're in the wrong technically, but the patrolman really shouldve heeded the spirit of the law instead of the letter of the law!

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb