The Royal Gardens


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 14th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lucky you-Bill is cooking supper and told me to write the entry all by myself today. Uh, Oh what will I say?

The Royal Gardens at the Prague Castle are not exceedingly large but they are one of our favorite places in all of the city. Whenever the day is lovely this time of year, my first thought after the library closes in the evening is to get on the bus and head to the tram so I can take a walk in the gardens, sit on the benches and gaze over the city. One day recently the day was just that way so we headed off to see our favorite sights. However you may have already read in a previous blog about that day. We ended up in the Deer Moat instead of the Royal Gardens. That was a wonderful mistake. After we finished in the Moat, we were still determined to go to the Gardens. Always before we had entered the Gardens from the bottom and walked the same route to the top and the Castle area itself. This time we entered the Gardens from the top and started to walk down on a different route. Why we had never seen the middle before I can’t imagine. The center is the more formal part of the whole thing. We had thought there were no ‘formal’ areas in the entire Garden but we found we were mistaken. There were flowers planted in lovely shapes, a nice fountain (or maybe two) and lots of lovely things we had never seen before. Now we realize the Gardens are at least twice as large as we had thought. Surprises are the happiest things of all, aren’t they? This is one of the most enchanting things about Prague for me-you never know what you will discover even when you return to a place you think you have seen enough times to have it memorized. So far, this is our second big surprise in this same area for this spring. I believe we already told you that we got caught in the rain there with two new friends one day. They headed for the tram and ‘home’ and we headed up the hill further into the gardens. When the drizzle became a bad thunder storm, we ducked under the overhang of one of the buildings which we had always hoped to get into some day and found it open with a lovely exhibit of Castle chairs from all the different eras. I wonder what our next Garden surprise will be?? Enjoy the pictures of the flowers. And yes, Bill is on the trip too. He never gets in the pix since he takes most of them but this time I caught him with the camera. Isn’t he cute?



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A Huge Tree In Full BloomA Huge Tree In Full Bloom
A Huge Tree In Full Bloom

A huge European Chestnut in full bloom.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb