Kafka's Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 7th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Kafka Museum 78 secs
We got up late today and had a nice easy day around the city.

We ate lunch at an excellent japanese restaurant called "Yami" in Stare Mesto and then made our way West over the bridge to the Kafka museum.

This museum is really top notch for fans of Kafka and even those who know nothing about him. Chrissy came away wanting to read his writing, and I learned a lot more about the writer and his Prague-centric insperations than I ever did before. Being in this city, one can quickly see what drove the artist to the fanciful and repressed thoughts expressed in his wacky writing. A true master of absurdism and surrealism before those were even terms. Being here has inspired me to read "The Castle".

The Kafka museum in the Little Quarter is about as good a museum as you could make for a writer. With many examples of Kafka's chicken-scratch handwriting on letters and diaries, you get a real sense of his job and the things in Prague that drove him to create his world of K. The museum has done an amazing job of bringing a literary world to visual life with ceiling tall filing cabinets and creepy red-lit stairs, photos under water, sketches of the artist and constant projections of video and short films. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

After a nice dinner at the Mediterranean/Croatian restaurant across the street from Dahab we called it a night and got to bed early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th September 2008

Kafka Museum
Sounds awesome. I didn't go there when I visited Prague, you've inspired me to check it out.

Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb