Day Five - Prowling Prague


Advertisement
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
December 24th 2007
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Even though I consumed almost a gallon of Prague’s finest brews last night, I didn’t wake with any semblance of a hangover. We did choose to sleep in though. A late night combined with the knowledge that our first tourist stop (Prague Castle) wouldn’t open until 9:30 convinced me that I needed to rest up a bit before my proposed full day drive on Christmas Day. Once again we began our day w... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Old Merchant BuildingsOld Merchant Buildings
Old Merchant Buildings

Author Franz Kafka lived as a boy in the Minute House (U Minuty), the black and white tattooed building to the right. This was easily the prettiest section of Prague.
Town Hall and Astronomical ClocTown Hall and Astronomical Cloc
Town Hall and Astronomical Cloc

We arrived in the square just a tad too early for the show put on by the mechanical workings of this huge clock dating back to before 1500.
St. Nicholas Church in  Staromestske NamestiSt. Nicholas Church in  Staromestske Namesti
St. Nicholas Church in Staromestske Namesti

This beautiful Baroque church dates from the 18th Century. It has been a Catholic, Russian Orthodox and Protestant churches at one time or another. For many years it served as an army headquarters and as a museum.
Prague Christmas MarketPrague Christmas Market
Prague Christmas Market

So far we were batting 1.000 on Christmas Markets. We had found them in every city we had visited, yet didn't really find much to keep our interest. The smell of roasting nuts, sausages and Gluhwein always evoke pleasant memories but the merchandise rarely catches our eye any more.
Jan Hus StatueJan Hus Statue
Jan Hus Statue

In the same corner of the square as the Christmas Market stood this statue of the martyred religious leader, Jan Hus.
It's ShowtimeIt's Showtime
It's Showtime

As 4 o'clock approached we made our way back over to the Town Hall to watch the Astronomical Clock strike the hour. I was so concerned about the crush of people pressing up against us that I hardly saw any of the machinations of the clock.
As Night Falls over Downtown PragueAs Night Falls over Downtown Prague
As Night Falls over Downtown Prague

Right about this time Gail and Cassie started yelling at each other about shopping for make-up. I still have no idea what the problem was but the rest of us had to tiptoe around a touchy situation for the next half hour or so. Family travel is soooo much fun.
Taking a Rest While the Others Use the FacilitiesTaking a Rest While the Others Use the Facilities
Taking a Rest While the Others Use the Facilities

We searched in vain for a toilet for what seemed like hours. Finally Gen found one back in the corner of the square. While everyone else took advantage Cassie took a break. This was just a few minutes before she and Gail banged heads over buying make-up.
The Streets Begin to Empty Out on Christmas EveThe Streets Begin to Empty Out on Christmas Eve
The Streets Begin to Empty Out on Christmas Eve

Tourguide Tyler now tried to lead us to the Jewish Quarter. We walked forever through side streets and dark alleys in search of the Old Synagogue.
Major Prague Department StoreMajor Prague Department Store
Major Prague Department Store

This is a C&A department store. The photo doesn't come close to doing justice to the bright, colorful Christmas lighting scheme. It helped us feel safe seeing people still milling about in this part of town.
Wenceslas SquareWenceslas Square
Wenceslas Square

Obviously I am still experimenting with night photography using my new camera. This is the site of many of Prague's biggest demonstrations during the Communist occupation. It's also where the Czech went crazy after gaining their freedom from the Soviets.
Prague's National MuseumPrague's National Museum
Prague's National Museum

Standing at the head of Wenceslas Square is the Czech version of the Smithsonian, their National Museum. It's full of historic and anthropological treasures as well as lots of dead extinct animals on display.
Back in Familiar TerritoryBack in Familiar Territory
Back in Familiar Territory

The restaurant may have been different but the meal started off with the same staples we enjoyed everywhere else - giant mugs of beer.
Gail's DinnerGail's Dinner
Gail's Dinner

Gail opted for this gigantic bread bowl full of Goulaschsuppe.
Cassie's and Doug's DinnerCassie's and Doug's Dinner
Cassie's and Doug's Dinner

Cassie and I needed heartier fare. We had potato pancakes and pork.
Round TwoRound Two
Round Two

We needed to wash down all that sauerkraut. What's better than beer?
Huh?Huh?
Huh?

It looks like it's about time for somebody to go home and get some rest before the all day drive to Budapest tomorrow,



29th April 2008

I have been in Prague for 2 weeks, I absolutely loved. I was there with my friends. During the day we went to visit what the guide told us to: ) but we had a lot of fun during the night. I found the city beautiful, like a fairytale land, the towers, the castles, the cathedrals…. I also found the city safe as you can see in this article from the government pages, I never had a problem by being out till late or walking to the hotel alone. Life there is so cheap we can live very well there. The price of the beer make us get drunk easier: ) I also was nicely surprised by the place we slept in I’ll leave you here a very good site of Prague hotels http://www.prague-hotels.org.uk/, they are cheap and very pleasant. For your next time. I was also very impressed by the Jewish quarter, specially the first synagogue where the names of the victims are written all over the walls. But I think the most beautiful was the Spanish synagogue. The S. Vito Cathedral is beautiful…form the out side. I didn’t managed to enter, I didn’t understand why but there was a guard at the door that only let Czechs in. Although your pictures are very illustrative. The got a nice weather there it was sunny and hot. The only problem is that there no sea air circulating but that was ok. I intend to return for sure.
1st May 2008

Your take on Prague
I too really liked Prague and would love to go back. But after our pickpocketing incident at Prague Castle I will probably never convince my wife to go back. What I especially like about Prague is the way everything is so centrally located. That and the beer!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb