Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We caught the 1:33 train from Vienna and were pleasantly surprised at the nice modern train for our four hour journey. The only problem was something we constantly face while traveling by train. Where do we put our packs because they sure as hack don't fit in the tiny overhead compartments? After stuffing bags under seats up and down the aisle we settled in for a 4 hour trip. Once we arrived at the train station we went in search of an ATM where Sam promptly took out only $20. Fortunately a group of German backpackers were leaving Prague and gave us their metro pass that was still valid for 3 more days. We checked into our hostel and went in search of food. We found a nice restaurant that had excellent food and the world hockey championship on TV. The game happened to be Czech Republic vs. Canada. The Czechs were winning and the waitress had a smug grin on her face but as Canada came back to tie the game she gave frowned looks as I quietly cheered. After Canada won in overtime I wasn't sure she would give me my last beer. The next morning we took the subway in search of the train station. We accidentally got off early and found ourselves outside of the opera house next to the Most Legii Bridge though Sam claims that was our intent all along. From here we can look up the river Vltava to the famous Karluv Most (Charles Bridge). We walked north to the Prazsky hrad (Prague Castle). The castle is situated on top of a steep hill that is surrounded by narrow cobblestone streets packed with cafes, souvenir shops and restaurants. It is really is more of a walled city that houses a royal palace as well as the magnificent Cathedral of St. Vitus. From the palace we walked back down the hill and across the Charles Bridge. The bridge is an old stone arch bridge that is lined with religious statues and large guard houses at each end. Crossing to the east side of the river you enter Old Prague. Just off the bridge the area is full of tourist shops but if you follow the narrow cobble stone streets you can find beautiful churches and plazas with cafes and restaurants. At the center is the old town hall that is also known as the astronomical clock tower. We stopped for drinks and a snack before we started off to find the train station to buy our tickets to Berlin for the next morning. We found what we thought was the main train station located at the end of Vaclavske Namesti, a long broad boulevard filled with pubs. The massive building was actually the National Museum and the train station was three blocks to the north but we eventually got there. After the station we headed back to the hostel to finish laundry and write some blogs. The next morning we would catch a train to Berlin.
As many places we have visited we leave sad that we did not have more time but knowing there could always be another trip in our future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



21st July 2007

thanks
Pics of Prague are great...all blogs have been wonderful. I wish I had saved all to disc. Is this still possible? Let me hear from you.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb