if the shoe fits...


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Prague, i hear its gorgeous, but i havent seen it yet. Albeit, we have only been here long enough to find the showers in our hostel. And, as i do what i do best, wait, i use the internet.
It was deffinitly hard to say goodbye to Berlin, this would make the top 3 favorites thus far. I feel i had a much better grasp on the history and even a little more culture than anywhere else.
Our second day we went on a guided tour to the concentration camp just outside of Berlin. Compared to our last tour, this was more sobering to see and hear about. This particular camp was used more for the polital leaders, however later on more subgroups were added, like the Jews, homosexuals, gyspies and even later on the Nazi's themselves. It was also a concentration camp, not extermination camp, but the point in sending the people here was ultimately to die from labor.
It was very interesting to look around and visualize what might have happened, however, a little dissapointing that just about everything on site was a reconstruction and not the actual historical building.
After all the walking we did the last couple of days, my feet are paying for it... but pain is temporary while the memories are forever. im running out of options though, my sandals are a little uncomfortable at the moment and they smell pretty bad, my tennis shoes reek to high heavens from the swamp water we have been wading through, and my ballet flats are terribly uncomfotable from overusage... i think ill stick with the stinky shoes and pray whoever i sit next to have a stuffy nose....haha, seriously. mom, dad, dont be too shocked when you pick me up at the airport, I WILL smell bed!and thats a conservative statement.
On the train this morning, as we headed East out of Berlin towards Prague i tried to imagine what it would have been like to be here in 1989 after the travel ban was lifted and the wall came down. I was looking out the train windowwondering if this was the same scene those EAst Berliners saw as they took a train, car, or walked out without restrictions. It wasn't until i saw a group of wandering deer that i understood. It wasnt that they wanted to flee, to get as far away as possible; There wasnt much to run from anymore. It was the simple fact they werent surrounded by walls, they were free! free to stay in their homeland they loved, free to roam, free to be.
being born with this kind of freedom, its hard for me to appreciate it as much as these people did at that time. But now, for me to think about what it would have been like for them, and what it is like for me, i am so grateful and so blessed!
the rest of the train ride into Prague was absolutely gorgeous! i wish we had spent at least a day out here, on the outskirts of Dresdin, it was incredible to train through. Maybe next time 😊
Tonight we will be taking full advantage of the kitchen here and the simple fact that our American dollar goes much further out here than the rest of Europe. I like saying i have 1,000 Czeck Crowns in my pocket, but really, thats just $50.
Its going to take me more than a day to learn how to say hello...so patience, ill attempt it on the next one.
peace,
Kinsey

Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb