In the Madding Crowd of Prague


Advertisement
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
August 30th 2016
Published: August 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Day 213 Thursday 18th August 2016 – Dresden to Prague Woke up kicking ourselves for not planning more days in Dresden as there was so much more we wanted to see and we both actually need to shop for more clothes. After this many days on the road most of what we are carrying is turning into rags and I think people are starting to mistake us for t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sedlec Ossuary Sedlec Ossuary
Sedlec Ossuary

Bone lace work
Sedlec Ossuary Sedlec Ossuary
Sedlec Ossuary

Cherub on top of skulls
Sedlec Ossuary Sedlec Ossuary
Sedlec Ossuary

Train station at Kutna Hora
PraguePrague
Prague

National Theatre
PraguePrague
Prague

Beautiful old buildings
PraguePrague
Prague

An owl or two
PraguePrague
Prague

Our Lady before Tyn Church
PraguePrague
Prague

The altar of St Giles Church
PraguePrague
Prague

Interior of the St Giles Church
Prague Technical MuseumPrague Technical Museum
Prague Technical Museum

Shelley's dream car
PraguePrague
Prague

TV tower
PraguePrague
Prague

The approach to Charles Bridge
PraguePrague
Prague

Vltava River
Karlstejn CastleKarlstejn Castle
Karlstejn Castle

Interior courtyard



30th August 2016
Karlstejn Castle

Summer crowds and man traveling
Must admit those crowds look horrendous--thank goodness for your Cheers bar and the early morning outing. I spent a nippy November there in the 90s, and had the place to myself--summer tourism is tricky. So funny, those man interests--oh boy, the Technical Museum! I saw 15 operas while there and have never passed a church or palace I didn't linger in--Scott would have died after two days. But it's so sweet the way you two manage to fit in both churches and motorcycles, however reluctantly. Good work!
30th August 2016
Karlstejn Castle

Summer crowds and man traveling
Just as well I (Scott) am so easy going and let Shelley indulge in all her churches. The score I think stands at me with four transport/war museums and Shelley with 1243 Churches, 256 Art museums and now 1 opera. Have to go back to researching some more motorcycle museums to even the score.
30th August 2016
Prague

Nightmare!
Beautiful buildings, but this crowd is one of the worst I've ever seen! Glad you survived!
30th August 2016
Prague

Nightmare!
It might look bad, but I can assure you it was far worse than it looks. we actually don't think it captured the crowd levels correctly. You were so lucky to be there in the 90's as I could imagine it would have had such a better vibe. There is only a few towns in the world that I would use the "never again" words and this is one of them.
31st August 2016

So many humans!
We are not good with crowds at the best of times, and ones following fluffy toys/flags scare us. Thanks for the heads up, this is going onto the shoulder-season list for sure. Scott I'm so impressed that you find all these transporty/technical type museums...I never knew there were so many in the world ;) I LOVE finding local gems like your Cheers Bar - we would have kept going back too :)
31st August 2016

So many humans!
Shoulder season might be okay although you may be better in the dead heart of winter so as to avoid the crowds. We knew it was going to be bad but just not quite that bad. As for the transport museums I try to find them all the time as I need a break from all the churches and art.
31st August 2016

Hordes of people!
Wow! The crowds look simply ridiculous! I was there a few years back in one of the autumn months and even though there were quite a few people gathered around the Clock, it was nothing like that! And to think that we are going there in a few days... Also good to know about the 21% tax charge, we'll try not to get ripped off ;) Did they have American Budweiser in the restaurant? To be honest it's hard to believe Czechs would serve any other beers but Czech ones? Or was it the Budweiser Budvar? Sorry, my dad worked half of his life in a brewery so it's a bit of a 'must' to ask these questions. Hope you'll enjoy your next destination a bit more. :)
31st August 2016

Hordes of people!
I sure hope the volume of people is on the decline by the time you get there, but just watch out for the Segway riders as they will not stop for you, especially when in groups. As for Budweiser, I have to admit hadn't heard of Budweiser Budvar, but I am certain the Italian restaurant we were at had the American Budweiser, but it was the only place we saw it. Loved the Czech Pilseners they tend to have a light crispness to them, cannot remember which ones I had but tried heaps - probably why I cannot remember the names. As for the tax just ask the waiter before ordering, I just hope you find better places to eat than we did. Blogger "Nancic123" stayed in Prague for a month and their blog had some good info, which helped us heaps. Their best advice to us was get up early to see the town and move away from the tourist zones. Hope the crowds are better behaved when you get there and you have a more enjoyable time than me.
1st September 2016

Czech beers
Thanks for the tips, will have a look at Nancic123's blog for sure! My partner, Grant never heard of the Czech Budweiser either and was surprised to see how similar the logos were. The Czech one is the original one and it looks like the Americans simply 'borrowed' their name, colours, fonts... all of it actually. I think it's a pretty good beer just like many other Czechs are, plenty to choose from for sure! I recommend trying some Polish ones also. :)
11th September 2016

Right town wrong time...maybe
I feel certain you would have felt differently a different month. You did a great job getting up early and avoiding the maddens. Always good to heed tips from Nanci and David. Happy travels.
11th September 2016

Right town wrong time...maybe
Been through markets in India that were less crowded and easier to navigate, we both came away feeling shell shocked, but like you said maybe a month later there would be less people and the town would have a whole different tone. One of the great things about the travelblog site is picking up tips from fellow travellers and also relating to their experiences, Nanci and David do a fine job.
9th October 2016
Karlstejn Castle

Karlstejn Castle
Great castle. Just posted it in our Palaces & Castles thread in the Photography Forum. Keep 'em coming.
12th October 2016

oh dear!
Best not let my step family read your thoughts on Prague lol.....guess if you know the language and have family who live there its makes the whole experience different hey....I had the best time in Prague. I'll admit I found it a little difficult to eat in the restaurants however did find a vegan on on the castle side. At not point did I get charged at tax, whether with family or not and the "beers", (not Bud) were sensational!!! The crowds big!
12th October 2016

oh dear!
Yes, we didn't have much fun in Prague and felt that was maybe because we were tourists and taken as suckers a lot of the time. Prague beer is sensational, and you were lucky to find a vegan restaurant as there was a lot of meat around.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb