Prague Autumn


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
October 1st 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Staromestske NamestiStaromestske NamestiStaromestske Namesti

from the Old Town Hall tower
Yikes, a quick flight 750km north to Prague and I've gone straight from summer to autumn. It was unusual to be in Prague without constant sunshine and hot weather, but the three days here have been cold and dull. Beer in the square just isn't the same when it's chilly. On top of this, most of the bridge is undergoing renovation, ruining any photographic opportunities.

Nevertheless, it was great to be back in Prague and nice to be in a familiar place that you don't need to explore completely in a few days. The off-season has also kept the crowds down a little, have never seen the castle so empty. Spent the days wandering around the Old Town, Jewish Quarter, Mala Strana and the riverbank, seeing familiar places and some new spots like Slav Island and Hradcany. Throw in a beer or two and some great food (beef goulash and dumplings as well as a great curry in the Taj Mahal) and you've got a nice end to this leg of the trip.

On Wednesday, the rain forced me indoors so went to an interesting photo exhibit on historic Prague with photos of the city from the late 19th
Tyn ChurchTyn ChurchTyn Church

from the Old Town Hall tower
and early 20th century. Then went to see the Terracotta Army exhibit which was in town. It was impressive enough, if not a patch on the original in Xian, although all the exhibit was made of (pretty accurate) replicas rather than some of the originals. The myriad of spelling mistakes in the English translations was definitely authentically Chinese though! Also climbed the tower of the Old Town Hall (not sure why I hadn't done this before) for some great views over the city.

After a disappointing Champions League night on Tuesday, I went to Agharta Jazz Club on Wednesday to see the house band, the Agharta Gang. Excellent performance, with the bass player Vit Svec being particularly impressive, some mesmerising playing. Next night at the Ungelt Jazz Club was not so good. More expensive than the far superior Agharta, the band (Petr Zeman quintet) were disappointing - their "fusion" style with electric guitar, bass and keyboards producing too many self-indulgent solos.

All in all, a good brief trip to Europe. Now home to prepare for Africa.....




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Castle entranceCastle entrance
Castle entrance

blissfully free of tourists
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

from Mala Strana


8th October 2009

The New World!
Great stuff Roddy. But me and Jacki are off to do Manhattan this weekend.

Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb