Czech Republic


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » New Town
May 12th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well we are finally off the river ship. We spent two days in Vienna which was pretty good. Apart from other things I went to where all the Hapsburgs are held in a crypt (read your European history on who the hell the Hapsburghs are!). 160 of them are right there, not buried or in coffins all bricked up, but right infront of you in brass sarcophagi that you can touch.

2nd last night on the boat was the Captains Farewell Dinner. I was wondering why not the last night, but found out when I couldn't get out of bed the next day! We went to Budapest for the last two days on the boat. Pretty cool city and amazing to actually be in Hungary and Eastern Europe. Travelling from there to Prague was also interesting seeing all the drab crap stuff the communists did. Have now been in Prague for a couple of days and it is as everyone says, really beautiful especially at night. You'll notice my location is listed as the new town - that refers to the new part of Prague built about 1400!

This morning we travelled to the north of CR to Terezin. This is a small town with a fortress built in the 1800's. The Nazis emptied the town and created a Jewish Ghetto as an on route to the extermination camps. The town held about 6,000 people and it was filled with 60,000 jews. The ghetto was bad enough but the fortress was turned into a prison and that was horrendous. The Czechs have left it how it was back during the war. It was a very somber day.

Tonight is the last of our association with Apt (the boat people!) we have a traditional Czech meal coming up being cooked by their equivalent of Gordon Ramsay. One good thing about the Czech's is they love their beer. Apparently we drink 90 litres per capita but they drink 162! Should be a good night!

Tomorrow we are off to Venice. Arrivadurci!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb