Dem bones, dem bones....


Advertisement
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today after farwelling Kirst and Camilla, we caught the train out to Kutna Hora, about 1 hour from Prague.

First stop was the Ossary (Bone Church) at Sedlec. After the crypt in Brno we were prepared to be creeped out, but having seen pics on the net and the place being packed with tour groups it kind of felt a bit more circus than sacred. Took the obligatory pics, including one where a skull is getting its eye picked out by a bird and were on our way.

The walk into town wasn't especially exciting, the outskirts are a little bit dreary with funny pokie (as in gambling) bars along the roadside. Once we'd hit the main square things started to pretty up and by the end of the day I think I could go as far as to say that we almost liked it.

After a good feed of chinese and some stupidly cheap icecream (6kc a cone!) we headed up St Barbara's Cathedral. Kutna Hora once rivalled Prague in its importance in the region due to a large silver mine which kept the women of Europe at their finest. Apparently it was a hip little place back then, things are certainly a lot quieter now. St Barbara is the patron saint of miners and thus her cathedral stands overlooking the valley and silver mine.

Its a really nice cathedral and was great to explore, despite the restauration work that covers most of the nave and part of the exterior. Its supposed to be one of the Czech Rep's finest churches and it doesn't disappoint. The three spires and the gargoyles on the outside are cool. As are the long bits (technical term) that come down to meet the main part of the buliding. The stained glass windows are painted rather than mosaics, and could not rival those of St Vitus, but the way the sunlight filters through creates beautiful patterns on the stone floor. One day there'll be photos.

Wandering back was really nice as the sun covered the fields. We met a nice lady on the train and she gave us a list of suggestions of some nice places to visit for next time. But for this time it was back to Prague for some Pizza and to pack up. Tomorrow morning we head to Plzen.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.475s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.3743s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb