Krk, a Place in the Sun


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Krk
July 10th 2011
Published: July 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a trying night coming to terms with heat that is like a hot blanket we got up to another cloudless day and the need to keep as cool as possible. Our huge hotel is right beside the water and everywhere people were either cooling off in the blue Adriatic or lying in the shade of the many spindly oak trees. A neighbouring camping ground plus day trippers make for a continuous passing parade of humanity enjoying the water and sun, or just dozing in a shady spot.
Heat is everywhere; it built through the morning and by noon the water and the air conditioned hotel lobby were the only cooler spots. We managed a leisurely walk around the beach front areas before we joined the throngs in the water. Much of the water’s edge is rock with gravel in places. This is not a sandy beach so careful treading is necessary. The water was cool on our overheated bodies and we rolled about slowly, rather like members of a seal colony, trying not to collide with other water babies in the crowded sea. This type of beach holiday is very popular with people from all over Europe, with dependable weather for weeks at a time, all the heat you could wish for and the blue water right there to be enjoyed. Our NZ experience of beaches as long sandy stretches with room for everyone most of the time is very different to the busy crowded shore and environs here.
Some serious siesta time followed lunch, but then the heat forced us out to find a cold drink in an air conditioned bar. We made it last and last while we soaked up the coolness. Meanwhile back in the room the temperature was rising and rising, despite having curtains drawn, because the sun was beating down on our side of the building. As evening turned to night we sat on the balcony in between taking turns to whirl a towel in an attempt to cool the room a little before trying to sleep. Perhaps a portable fan should be our next purchase, as we understand it will become hotter as we go south.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb