Banjole, Istria


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Banjole
December 17th 2010
Published: December 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Banjole
Banjole is located on a beautiful green peninsula that dips into the crystal clear sea. Lush greenery is streaked with yellow color of the broom, the aroma of lavender and rosemary, while the sound of crickets echoes on the whole peninsula. All of these are symbols of the Mediterranean. This small village, with a naturally protected harbor and rich shade of old trees has, for years, been a place where people wanted to go and spend their holidays. Even the ancient Romans recognized the benefits of this place and built their villas and spa here. Abundant fresh fish from the local sea is an integral part of each residents’ and visitors’ kitchen table.

The old fishermen town is now the ideal place for holidays and complete relaxation. Its natural beauty, countless coves, clear sea and fragrant pine forests are a source of endless pleasure and the perfect vacation. The underwater world of this region is known for its impressive passages and colorful reefs that leave you breathless while a large number of colorful marine inhabitants pass by. Today, Banjole is a combination of all the comforts of modern life and ancient traditions, taking the best of both worlds. This is the perfect place for lovers of Mediterranean serenity, blue sea and sun. Banjole makes every visitor think of it as a home away from home of which they dream off and where they return.

History
The history of Banjole and the surrounding area dates back to the Bronze Age. On the hill Bumbište, ancient burial sites of prehistoric inhabitants were found as well as a bronze dagger, which, at that time, was an attribute of military leaders, all of which leads to speculations about the importance of this place in that period. In the Roman period, the civilization progressed, agriculture developed and there was the immigration of the most important people of that time. From that period, there are the remains of Roman villas found in the bay Paltana and the Roman thermal baths from where Banjole got its name. In fact, the Latin name of the place was Balneolum minus, which in translation means little baths. In the valley Centinera remains of a Roman settlement were found, while in Rupice ruins of ancient Roman quarries were found as well as fragments of capitals, sarcophagi and an unfinished statue.

In the Middle Ages, it was written that the former Kontrada Banjole at that time belonged to the territory of Pomer. After that, the emperor Corrado II gave it to the bishops of Pula. Later, Banjole belonged to the Jonatasi family, and then to the family Castropola. In the 15th century, along with other troubles such as wars and robberies, the population was attacked by the plague. Most of them died and the territory of Banjole became barren and neglected. Therefore, the government, taking into account "the Bishop's rights” seized the lands and in 1585 gave it to the new noble families settled in the area of Pomer. The Istrian ruler Renier distributed Banjole’s arable land and pastures to families from Premantura. During the reign of Italy, as in the rest of Istria, times were difficult until the liberation of these regions, when Banjole became part of the former Yugoslavia and then of Croatia in 1991.

Recommendations
Paltana - remains of Roman baths from the 1st century
Rupice - the former Roman quarries
Centinera - remains of a Roman settlement
Fraškerić Island - a small island whose underwater world is ideal for divers because of the beautiful reefs and passages
Volme, Kanalić bay- the remains of Sv.Mikula church from the 7th century
Pomer - beautiful small town near Banjole with a modern nautical centre
Rt Kamenjak - natural park, with a beautiful 30 km long coastline

Events
Rockabilly festival, Medulin - festival for lovers of the Sixties music and lifestyle 03.06.
Istra Gourmet, Premantura – presentation of Istrian gourmet products 15.06.
Games Šanpjero, Medulin - attractive games of skills and endurance - 09.07.
Yellow night, Medulin - traditional folk festival 25.07.
Jakovlja, Medulin night - a traditional folk festival on the occasion of St.Jakov 26.07.
Banjole night - a traditional folk festival with entertainment - 04.08.
Lovrečeva, Premantura - folk festival on the occasion of the Saint Lovro - 10.08.
Crispo, Medulin - theater performance on the peninsula Vižula with Roman music - 17.08.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb