Korcula


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 21st 2012
Published: September 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well the trip across from Hvar to Korcula was fun saling! Initially calm and then the wind that hadn't arrived earlier in the morning paid us a visit. We tried to use the sails about three times and each time the wind either died or sped up to 40 knots. As Ken was trying to keep the boat at 5 knots the sails went up and down, got reefed, then released so in the end Ken opted to motor along without the sails. We remarked that other boats were still sailing to which Ken responded that their skipper probably had a more experienced crew!

It was very windy and lots of white caps and we were so proud of our non sailing, non swimming Linda who was not at all phased by any of it. It was also a long day, we left Hvar at 9.30 am and arrived in Korcula, the home of Marco Polo at 5.30pm.

Korcula (pronounced caw-chew-la) has a great marina with very clean recently renovated toilet and showers. We had fun getting berthed as the wind was blowing and the harbour master directed us into a narrow channel with boats either side and we had to back into our spot at the quay. Ken of course managed superbly with his less than experienced crew. It was my first time tying off the port side stern mooring, or rope for that matter. Pretty good with fenders, first time with ropes! Now i know what to do! Once tied off we all had showers then headed into town to find a restaurant for dinner. It is a very old town, very picturesque with four fort like towers at each corner. Very narrow cobbled laneways with shops and restaurants everywhere.

In the morning we had another quick recky around town, bought some Marco Polo tshirts, and headed out about 10.30. It's now time for elevenses so coffee and biccies it is!

Don't forget to check out the "some classics" section too!

****************************************************************

Advertisement



26th September 2012

How do I view the photos???
Don't forget to check out the "some classics" section too! - will I would if I knew how!!!!! I see there are 55 photos but the line is greyed out so I cant look at them.... Still sounds like great fun being had by all - keep on sailing!!!
27th September 2012

Thanks for letting me know. I will check it out and see if I can make the pickies available. Hope all is well at home Love Linda
29th September 2012

Access to photos
Hi L It does take some time for the photos to ungrey. The other thing to do is to scroll further down the entry as the photos as all at the bottom of the page. Let me know if this does not work. Cheers L xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb