R+R Medieval-style


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Trogir
June 5th 2017
Published: June 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We overlooked one thing when choosing a place for R+R after our Balkan bus tour. Tours are draining so we knew we needed a couple of days where we could get up when we wanted, eat when we wanted and generally laze round somewhere beautiful to re-charge the batteries.



Trogir, a tiny island supporting a picturesque medieval town and connected to the Dalmatian coast by an equally tiny bridge, seemed like the ideal choice. But what do picturesque medieval towns have in abundance? Churches. And what do European churches still do that antipodean ones don’t?...ring their @#$%ing bells from 7am in the morning for about an hour.



The sound of church bells echoing over a wooded valley is one of the most lovely sounds, but when the bells are right above you, rebounding off thick stone walls and narrow passageways, several of them at once not quite synchronising, punctuated by jet planes swooping overhead to land at Split airport, motorbikes roaring round the lanes which are too narrow for cars and the general cacophony of people getting ready for another day living and working in a walled town as they have done for centuries, I realised we clearly hadn’t thought this through.



However Trogir is fascinating. The best way to describe it is a mini-Dubrovnik - more manageable to get around, fewer crowds, friendlier people and less like a giant film set. You can walk around it in under 20 minutes, it has a castle, cathedral, several palaces, more churches, a great produce market just over the bridge, a Riviera-style esplanade lined with bars and luxury yachts, floaty-resort-wear dress shops, ice cream parlours and more restaurants per medieval metre than anywhere else we’ve stayed.



We’ve had a superb fish platter for two with grilled sea bass, wild boar gnocchi, prawn and wine risotto, gilt head bream, tagliatelli with shrimps and salmon…there is a big Italian influence on food in Dalmatia as it was ruled from Venice during the Renaissance.



Most meals have come to roughly 300 kuna including wine – about $NZ65. It is an absolute delight for once to be in a place where the $NZ dollar seems to be worth more – Rhys tells me this isn’t actually the case, it’s that Croatia is in the EU but not in the European monetary zone
our apartmentour apartmentour apartment

With its tiny balcony
and still uses kuna (which one guide told us was a small weasel-like animal which they used to use the skins for as trading currency – so thank you little kuna for still being worth bugger all).



The island was first settled by ancient Greeks before the constant waves of civilisation from Roman, Ottoman, Italian, Austro-Hungarian to Yugoslavian and present day Croatian.



We are at the start of the tourist season so it’s relatively quiet, meaning the tour groups only start at 8am, pouring through the narrow alleyways, heads swivelling, mouths agape at the Viennese Renaissance and Baroque architecture which has earned Trogir its UNESCO World Heritage listing.



I’ve come to the conclusion Croatians don’t really enjoy being involved in tourism, they are barely lukewarm restaurant touts and the women sitting outside the clothes and souvenir shops offer only a shy, almost apologetic, “haalo…” as an attempt to entice you to buy their kitsch knickknacks and linen shirts made in Italy. They’d all rather be sitting in a café drinking their very good strong coffee or out in their gloriously productive veggie gardens where instead of useless lawn they grow enormous

Mastering the vagaries of European laundry methods
tomatoes, courgettes, beans etc in soil that looks like road metal.



This is not to say they aren’t friendly – they are warm, tactile people, ready with a pat on the arm as a greeting – but they’ve had tourism thrust upon them as one of the few work opportunities left to a previously subsistence village lifestyle in a constantly changing world.



From here we’re taking the bus to Dubrovnik to catch our overnight ferry to Italy, so ciao for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Beautiful, atmospheric cobbled lanes that make up Trogir


Just a big enough balcony for a pre dinner drink
the Southern Gatethe Southern Gate
the Southern Gate

Looking out to the bigger island of Ciovo

Kamerlengo, Trogir CastleKamerlengo, Trogir Castle
Kamerlengo, Trogir Castle

Mid 15th C when the Venetians ruled Dalmatia
buying local wine at the marketbuying local wine at the market
buying local wine at the market

Not as cheap as our tour grog from Split, but still only about $NZ8 a bottle and a very nice Primitivo from just down the road


Gorgeous back streets of Trogir
main town squaremain town square
main town square

filled with cafes and usually some music happening
Dalmatian shortcut...Dalmatian shortcut...
Dalmatian shortcut...

...to the beach on Ciovo - quite a bit of renovation going on...
Okrug on CiovoOkrug on Ciovo
Okrug on Ciovo

Lovely Adriatic inlets


Coastal walk on Ciovo
The Rector's PalaceThe Rector's Palace
The Rector's Palace

Romanesque but built with bits of ruined older houses


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb