Croatia 6 - On the road to find the Tardis at Trogir


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Trogir
May 5th 2013
Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Before we left our camping spot for the night I tried the swimming pool complex and very nice it was too. Loads of children and not many serious swimmers. I hate to think what it will be like at the height of the season but I managed guessing 20 lengths by counting in my head. .

Our neighbours the Roma Homers are staying another day but our other Brit neighbours who are young and are travelling in a panel van have moved on. Oh to be young again and have a whole load of years to travel.

Suzy got itchy feet and we packed up and went to pay. 288.84 kuna for two nights stay at ACSI rate. As we hit the road we managed to get 28.2 mpg another first as Suzys diesel consumption got better. We felt excited that she had hit the magical figure promised by the manufacturers.

We called in at the first petrol station along the road. As we entered the young lad served gestured pointing to the pump. We couldn’t work out what he was trying to say but couldn’t work it out. They had diesel so that wasn’t a problem. We were low enough to enter the forecourt so that wasn’t an issue . After a bit of deliberation we drove off and thought we would find another petrol station along the way. Silly boy had lost a sale of about £80. Diesel is cheap here.

We entered the motorway and picked up our ticket. Before long we found the petrol station and filled up 66.30 litara at a cost of 929 kuna which equated to 615.93kuna. We have worked out that the lipas are ignored as they are worth so little and are like monopoly money. Along the road we saw banks of pink morning glory. Much prettier than back home they rambled everywhere they mixed with the pink of some kind of dandelion type flower and vivid mauve Bearded Iris. We stopped at a layby for a break and were surrounded by a field of bright red poppies, a gleaming blue lake in the distance and a glaring white statue of the Madonna and child. Perhaps she looked favourably on travellers along the road. I am sure there was much crossing and gesticulating from the drivers as they passed her. We passed tiny villages in the middle of nowhere. Sions friend Woolly talked about the lack of human beings in France well civilisation in this part of the world seems thin and far between. Sion never saw a soul for mile after mile after mile. Nothing but empty motorway. The tolls for the day came to 68Kuna and at every station a little man took my money so none of that hanging out of the window to pay him.

We entered Trogir at what seemed like Saturday lunchtime rush hour. The traffic was nose to tail slithering along the waterfront and converging on the bridge. Trogir was our destination as we were in search of the Tardis and Dr Who. All will be revealed later.

Camping Rozac our stop for the night was the other side of town so we had to crawl in over the bridge, up the hill to the next village. We queued as Brits do to book in and waited. There was one man in front of me paying for his nights stay and another lady waiting. We waited. It seemed as if booking out took for ever. The queue continued to grow and we got no nearer the reception desk.
The Madonna and child The Madonna and child The Madonna and child

Protecting all who travel
Eventually when I did arrive at the desk I was told that as it was out of season to go on site, pick a plot and then come back to register. I felt a little like suggesting a sign saying that might have prevented four of us queueing and being told the same thing. Ah well it happens sometimes. It was interesting to watch the receptionist fill in a form, take a copy, place two copies in a plastic wallet. Then she would place the plastic wallet in a lever arch file. Next she booked us in on the computer, took our ACSI card and filed that away together with our identification. All this done in triplicate –no wonder it took forever to get booked in. The site was on two levels. The lower on the Trogir side was reserved for tents. And the best of the plots for motorhomes was on the waterfront facing the town. These were all taken. We found a plot near to the top of the site near to a small toilet block and what looked like a bar. Luckily out of season the bar was closed. Perhaps we would get a good nights sleep.

There was a good washing machine at a cost of 40kuna which I took advantage of. The washing facilities for dishes and showers looked Ok although when I did try them they were perhaps not as clean as I would have liked. The site got busier through the day and was rather noisy at night with music coming from somewhere until the early hours of the morning. WiFi was available at 20 kuna an hour, 50 kuna a day and 250 kuna for a week. We decided not to pay but to wait and see if we could pick up free WiFi at our next camp. We must be getting tight or trying to make money last longer.

We went for a walk to the local shop for provisions. We were told that it might or might not be open. In fact, in true Croatian style when I looked in through the window the place was devoid of anything to eat and looked as if it had been closed for donkeys years. The next shop was half a mile away and had a limited selection of goods. On the way back we looked in on the bars on the waterfront and sat for a while eating strawberry and vanilla ice creams watching the crystal clear blue Adriatic waters. It is idyllic sometimes and Wales seems a long way away.

Bad news Wrexham seem to have lost in the play offs. Conference football again next season. And Rossi came 4th in MotoGP.

We were also on the flight path to Split airport which was only 5 miles away. Planes came in with their landing gear down. It made for an interesting afternoon. Sion wanted to tell Woolly that Instead of car watching and collecting number plates he was collecting different nationality aeroplanes. He also found a few interesting drain covers too. .

Later that day we heard a voice Hello you Brits – it was a couple Peter and Sandra from Galashields who were travelling in their A class motorhome. They had been on the road since March when they left a snowy Scotland and had been following the sun. As we were heading south they were working their way north. . We went over for a chat and few glasses of wine whilst comparing notes on the weather and places that we had been to. We shared ideas on places to go to and campsites to use. It was a pleasant interlude speaking English to someone after a week and a bit without seeing many others of our own nationality. I think you go stir crazy after a while not talking to people and just hearing Dutch and German being spoken on campsites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Suzy waiting to goSuzy waiting to go
Suzy waiting to go

This must be the emptiest camp site we have ever been on


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb