Splitting in Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
October 4th 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The bus from Dubrovnik to Split was in the pouring rain. The weather was up and down, but made for some amazingly beautiful and dramatic coastline with the grey and brooding sky interspersed with the odd shaft of sunlight as the clouds moved out to sea. Part of the coastline actually goes through Bosnia & Herzegovena so technically I managed to do another country in 20 mins. You pull up at the border crossing on the bus while they wander through have a look at the passport then drive for 20 mins and do it all again. My biggest complaint was no stamps in the passport!

Eventually hit Split and found more private accommodation before wandering off to explore the old city and the Citadel. So many cities provide you with a walking tour so you get to do a self guided tour of the major sights. Our first stop was the bell tower and after the multitude of stairs we had a beautiful view of the whole city, up and down the coast and off to the mountains in the distance. It was also the moment of my 'star turn'. Joy and Jonathon were doing a video for a song set in all the places they travel and I got to do my start turn which was lots of mouthing the words and 'dancing' up the stairs - haven't seen the end result yet, but not hopeful for my contribution.

Wandered around town, visiting the sights and generally exploring until the sun went down. Found a local restaurant for dinner which was lovely then took off to the movies. Not my usual activity when travelling, but after a few weeks on the road it was nice to sit back and take it easy. The movie was 'Vicky Christina Barcelona' which was amusing, but as a Woody Allen movie on the quirky side. Back for bed.

Next day, Sunday and it was time to make the most of the bit of sun that had come out. We wandered for a km or so up the coast and found a 'beach' to strip off and soak up some sun. It was a lovely little spot full of small rocks, the odd bottle cap and a multitude of cigarette butts. Lovely! Four hours of rotisserie style sun worship, no sunscreen, very little colour it was time for a dip in the freezing ocean - not to be recommended in October! Eventually dried off, back into town, visit to the Cathedral and off to catch a bus to Zadar!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jupiters TempleJupiters Temple
Jupiters Temple

Now a baptismal place


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb