Split Croatia - More than a little piece of Paradise!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
October 14th 2019
Published: October 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today we are informed that the train is not running from Zagreb due to repairs on the tracks. Therefore, it is necessary to board a bus for two hours and then reconnect on the train. Travelling through the Croatia countryside there are rolling hills packed with trees in full autumn foliage. The scenery changes to the mountain range of Mount Mosor and then again to flat rich farmland. It is gorgeous unspoiled nature.

Waking up the view is palm trees, and the Adriatic Sea, with a 24C temperature. It is time to abandon jackets and don capri’s, sandals, and sunglasses. The Riva promenade parallels the water and leads to an old city. The entire day is spent meandering down ancient corridors, visiting unique shops, and eating just outside the Palace at Villa Spiza’s.

The following morning is a return to the Diocletian Palace built in the 4th Century AD which seems to have seen better days. Having been constructed for a Roman emperor, it is actually more like a fortress than a palace. Portions of ‘The Game of Thrones’ was filmed here. Today there are apartments, stores, restaurants, parks, cafes, and markets within the old walls. In 1979 the Palace was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage monument. This limestone and marble building is depicted on the Croatian 500 kuna banknote. Split has been under Roman, Venetian, Austrian, French, Italian, and Yugoslav control.

Split has been the perfect spot to relax and regroup. The apartment has a combination washing machine/dryer, and it only takes five and a half hours to complete a cycle. But, the instructions are in English, which is a huge relief, because the Croatian language is most difficult to read and understand. Returning to the castle in the evening with the sparkle of lights and a full moon makes for a magical evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb