Trogir, Sibernik and Krka National Park, on 9 July 2013


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Sibenik
July 9th 2013
Published: July 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Trogir, Sibernik and Krka National Park, on 9 July 2013

We drove further north along the Croatian coast and came to Trogir, a town that was founded by the Greeks in 3rd century BC. We had read that its Cathedral was one of the finest in the Adriatic so we wanted to pop in a see it.

Trogir’s old town is built on an oval-shaped land squeezed between the mainland an d the larger island of Ciova. Modern Trogir stretches for several kms along the coast.

We parked the camper and walked over the 17th C. Land Gate, a simple arch topped with a statue of the town’s protector, St John of Trogir.

We visited the Cathedral and walked around the town. I have included some photos of the town.

We then drove 60 kms north to Sibernik which is the closest town to the Krka National Park. We parked just outside of the Park gates and road our bikes to the start of the walk to see the waterfalls. There were 2 big hills and a gentle incline going to the falls so coming back was a lot easier. The bike ride took about ½ hour.

We paid our 98 Kuna (approx $18 AUD) and started our walk. It was beautiful. I hope the photos are good enough to give you an idea of what we saw. It was lovely sitting there watching the water falls and the swimmers having fun. Embarrassingly, we didn’t bring our bathers!!!!

There were waterfalls everywhere. The foundation of these waterfalls was called travertines, formed by deposits of calcium carbonate so they are actually biolithic rocks – fascinating.

This area was also the 1st site for a hydro electric dam which was built in 1895 and was in operation until WW 1.

Time was getting on so we rode back to our Camper and was desperately looking forward to a sower and cold refreshments. We drove to Kamp Krka which was about 10 kms from the waterfalls. This was a basic camp site but friendly people, bar and restaurant, warm showers and good washing facilities. We got there at about 6.30pm

The next morning we were getting our breakfast ready and Tom hear an Australian accent in the motor home next to ours. Sure enough, Pauline and Ross were from near the Gold Coast - Mt Cotton (!!) - would you believe it – travelling around Europe for 12 months. We joined them with our breakfast and several coffees, swapping travel stories and experiences. It was their 1st experience with a van/motor home which they had bought in England on a buy-back scheme. It was lovely to chat with them. We exchanged contact details and went on our way. We were travelling in opposite directions so we were able to give each other some great hints. Oh the life of motor-homing!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb