Croatian Honeymoon - Hvar Town


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
September 22nd 2013
Published: November 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We woke up today with renewed energy! After a breakfast at the hotel (not nearly as good as our other hotel), we decided to hike up to the Fortress Espanjola. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century (during the Venetian rule) and was reconstructed in 1579. Today the fort holds a collection of amphora and other exhibits from antiquity and the Middle Ages. Besides experiencing its exquisite architecture, and has an unforgettable panoramic view of the city of Hvar, its surroundings and the Pakleni islands. We had a lunch reservation at a pricey seafood place (made by our travel company) but skipped it and had lunch in a small garden restaurant instead. We took a nap and then had a reservation for a couples massage at the hip hotel and spa across the harbor (another gift from our travel company). It was Kevin's first massage ever - and it was amazing! We were then taken up to the rooftop jacuzzi where we were the only people and had an incredible view of Hvar, the fortress, and the harbor. It was a sight I will never forget and only wish I had had a camera. After our massage we showered and went to a really neat wine bar we had previously walked passed. The enthusiastic owner let us try a few different Croatian wines and we then had dinner at a nearby restaurant - Giaxia. Hands down the best meal we had in Croatia! We had gnocchi stuffed with prosciutto and prawns in an asparagus sauce (AMAZING!). Our second course was a fish prepared in the traditional Croatian way, followed by a chocolate torte. The ambiance, food, and service could not have been better. It was a perfect day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb