Paradise lost - Don't Call me, will call You


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
July 4th 2007
Published: July 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey all.

Well have arrived on the lovely Island of Hvar, it is off the coast from Split and what a magical place it is. Seems pretty up market but we got rooms with a lovely old lady through Lonely Planet guide and they are great, could however do with aircon. We at least have a kitchen we can use in this place so I am off to buy a chicken and other bits to make us some dinner - getting sick of pizza etc all the time, but the Octopus and Greek salads are to die for.
This is the Croatian version of Elba and about as upmarket.

The heatwave continues in this part of the world with temps in mid to late thirties each and every day, sorry. Was so warm last night that after dinner and a few drinks in the harbour, I sat out on the balcony attached to the room for about two hours until 1.30am to stay cool in the warm sea breeze coming in off the Adriatic.

The water is so clear and clean here. Gets deep very quickly too, comes from having the coastline come straight up out of the water I guess.

Have been out running where possible and went running along the harbour walkway for about and hour and then did some exploring up around the rocky outcrops. After breakfast Mel and I walked up to the Fortress behind the city. It was commenced to be built about 1000 years BC and Hvar has been an important harbour island since, with various rulers, mostlz Venetian in that time. It has three distinct building styles used to create the completed fortress, including the prison dungeon. The cells were certainly small, almost claustrophobic in size.

The Hvar was mostly destroyed by the Turks in the 13th century, August 19th. All citizens were saved by hiding in the fortress. Fortress was partly destroyed some two hundred years later when lightning struck the gunpowder room - direct hit and blew a big hole in it and partly destroyed the town again.

Heard the news about the America's cup today and gutted, but great they were in the final. Bad week for NZ sport I think with the Aussie rugby loss too.

We head off to the next Island in the chain - Korcula on Friday and then to Dubrovnik for two days before heading back to Italy to fly to Greece.

Hope you are all well and enjoying the winter months - remember it is not all beer, sun and skittles over here, just doing my bit for NZ pride, which is nothing like gay pride by the way.

Take care and I think the photos will have to come out in weekly installments. If planning to come to Croatia then give Hvar etc at least a week of your time, diving, parasailing, snorkling etc etc etc etc, all here.

Paul



Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb