Dalmation Coast of Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
Croatia is a beautiful country that sits on the side of a mountain by the blue waters of the Adriatic Sea. The coast is rocky with an occasional narrow beach. Most of the beach is covered with small rocks. The scenery is spectacular and reminded me of Italy. As a little background, I would like to remind you that Croatia was attacked early in the morning in October 1991 by the Yugoslav Army- mostly Serbs. Croatia had declared its independence from Yugolavia a few months before this happened. The citizens took shelter in the city's ancient walled fort and in their cellars. The fighting went on for 8 months. 70% of the homes lost their roofs to the bombing.
Today, most of the land mines have been cleared. This summer, scientists started training bees by placing TNT next to their food supply. The bees are placed in a cleared mine field area and are able to spot any missed mines.
We visited the Old Town which today is filled with touristy shops. We saw the old church, monastery, fountain, etc. We have found Croatia to be a step up from the other countries in Eastern Europe. It is cleaner and western friendly.
We stayed in our first sobe - private accomodation here. The Villa Cecile was owned by a retired Canadian. It was worth over $4 million dollars and was very nice. We paid 22 Euros for a room with a private bath and a shared outdoor kitchen. The house was built of big stone blocks with a marble terrace. This house was damaged in the was but repairs have been made except to a few terrace tiles. Every inch of the land was used for planting grapes, olives, pomegranates, limes, figs, apricots, herbs, apples, pumpkins, garden vegetables. We had a fabulous view from our balcony of the town and sea.
Take care,
Everette

Advertisement



24th August 2007

Did U go to Lokrum Island? Great spot for photos
beautiful place

Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb