Day 13 - Zagreb


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
July 14th 2015
Published: July 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Onto the bus for a tour of the town with a local guide. We drive the lower end with commentary then head up the hill to the top of the high part of town where we walk. Very ordered grid streets in the lower part, but the high part is like Sydney, streets going in all directions. Lots of old buildings again, then we get to St Marks church. This has a roof of coloured ceramic tiles with 2 symbols, one of the local area the other the Croatian flag. Stunning effect.
Wander through alleys, little squares, and lots of views down into the main square. We see one building where they had painted windows on the 1st level walls. The guide said that someone must have wanted some fresh air, so they painted a few open windows as well..... Have a bit of free time before we get shipped back to the hotel so we wander the streets a bit more. Go to the market and buy some cherries. Very tasty. This afternoon we go to the birthplace of Josip Broz Tito, former dictator of Yugoslavia. There is a museum built as a village that shows off the different houses, trades and lifestyles of his younger ages. A bit like Soverign Hill. Then we head for our next "special dinner" at a farm in the hills. Beautiful scenery, castles on the distant hills, little plots of corn everywhere with sheds drying the corn for animal feed in the winter, vineyards and village after village. Get to the dinner place and we are met with a huge hill up to the place. They provide a shuttle which some use. We walk. Piano accordion to welcome us along with a fruit wine/brandy shot. They also have a cake that you dip in salt to accompany the shot. Hmm, memories of lip, suck, sip - tequila. The shot is really nice this time, but the cake with salt is forgettable. Sit down in at tables in the garden, and the feast begins. After about 4 different plates of meat, pressed meat, salamis and other stuff, we get soup. Then comes the salad and main plate of duck and veal. All this is washed down with apple strudel and a cheese strudel. Way too much food, I think every table had at least half of every plate returned. Head back to the hotel. There was a special concert tonight in the main square to celebrate Bastille day so we decide to go in and check it out (now about 2000). Walk into the square and find 4 of the group straight away, and then the kiwis appear as well. Can't go anywhere...... Find a table at a cafe and get some drinks. Life is good. Lots of people watching tonight. Concert finishes so we decide to walk back. Nice night for a walk. Pack the bags for an 0700 pick up tomorrow and off to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb