It's Official. We LOVE Zagreb


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
July 5th 2015
Published: July 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

With no update on Luggage-gate, we have now kitted ourselves out with the essentials and a modest new wardrobe, courtesy of H and M. We've changed our plans and are now staying on in Zagreb for a third night (no hardship) in the hope the cases will catch up with us.

We wandered around the city this morning, went to the Dolac Market, bought four amazing vintage industrial enamel light shades for our kitchen and are currently sitting on our balcony drinking a local beer ( Staropramen - I can highly recommend it).

Sitting looking out over the cathedral you can see how they have laid out the buildings in a perfect circle, all looking in on a central plaza. Behind are a range of small mountians, that seem to follow the same shape. It creates this optical illusion of the sky curving over you and I feel as if I am sitting in a giant snow globe. When I put this to Simon and asked him if we could possibly be in something like The Matrix right now his reply was that this was a perfectly natural conclusion to have come to (we have only had one bottle of beer between us, before you ask).

We had dinner at Nishta last night, which is a cool little vegetarian/vegan cafe come restaurant. The food was fantastic (Cashew Nut Gnocchi for me, Pastalicious Curried Noodles for Simon). It was blissfully calm and quiet after the rather manic day we'd had. Just what we needed. About to head back out for lunch and explore the city some more. See you all later!

Headed up to the Old Town area in the absolutely baking heat this afternoon. The Cathedral of the Assumption of the blessed Virgin Mary is absolutely stunning, with it's impressive organ music making the floor shake inside (every vampire horror I have ever seen came flooding back whilst listening to that music). In contrast to the cool interior, the grounds outside are basked in brilliant sunshine. Locals and tourists alike sit in the only shaded corner by the wall, which has the old clock face hanging from it. It still displays the time it was showing when it fell to the ground in and earthquake in 1880. The cathedral has been under repair since the 1990s and still has some way to go.



Having checked the KLM website it would appear our cases are now in Croatia and with a courier... Yay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement




6th July 2015

Holiday
Any sign of the luggage yet? Sounds as if you are having a lovely time.Take care Love Mum and Dad xxx

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb