Zagreb - Old City Charm - But train travel is a challenge!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
October 13th 2019
Published: October 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The train travels SW from Vienna and is on one of the oldest railway tracks. It also has a dining car complete with white linen tablecloths. A first for us. The views are similar to a fairytale book, displaying castles and historical homes tucked into the lush hillsides. The train rises up towards the southern end of the Dolomite mountains. We envision what people were seeing when they travelled this route on the Orient Express.

We are not quite sure what to think entering the city of Zagreb, CROATIA. It is the absolute opposite of Vienna’s sparkle and sophistication. The following morning, the coffee house cashier informs us that we need to pay in cash, and they accept no credit cards or euro’s. That leaves us without the ability to pay. But they say no problem, and feed us anyways, knowing that we will go to the nearest bank machine afterwards. Climbing the steep hills brings you to the St. Mark Church. The roof is tiled in bright colours of red, blue, white, and yellow, and designed in the three different Zagreb coat of arms.

Right in the center of town is the Gric Tunnel that was built during World War II as a bomb shelter that can hold 5,000 people. Today it is a tourist attraction and used for cultural events. Downhill is the Stone Gate, a significant oath site that was built in 1266. Chris lights a candle for Anne’s birthday. Tradition is that this will bring love, good luck, happiness and health to that person. All through the town, every second or third shop seems to be an outdoor coffee house or tavern. The local people gather here and are friendly, relaxed, and seem to know how to live.

Going in to a restaurant to purchase salads, we are surprised to find a poster on the wall advertising for the Terry Fox run in Croatia. There is a museum named Broken Relationships in the city. After 39 years of marriage, we decide it is not really necessary for us to visit.

Zagreb is a very pleasant city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb