Plitvice Lakes National Park


Advertisement
Published: July 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

I was so happy to see one of the items on my bucket list. On our way from Zagreb to Split, our friends took us to this beautiful national park with the stepped lakes and waterfalls, crystal clear blue waters, and stunning scenery. I was so excited for this. It is not a direct route, so we had taken the long way through the countryside. Fay and I were able to get to know the 8th member of our party, Marko. He is definitely talkative and the life of the party. He recommended a stop for lunch at this cute little spot near the park, Rastoke, where he said they had the best fish. The fish did not disappoint. I was still full from our brunch, but I tried it - when in Rome, right? Who would have thought something as simple as garlic would add all the flavor to fish you would ever need? So, so yum. Plus they served it with spinach, which was equally as enjoyable.

After lunch we got to the first park entrance; it was getting on to 5pm, so I think it was a good time as many people seemed to be leaving. At first, the three Croatians (Marko, Luka and Ivana) were not going to go in as they had seen it so many times, but then thought better of it and joined us; this also helped us keep pace to make good time - we still had to get to the marina that night, after all. It was approximately 180 kuna to get in and you immediately descend into the park, seeing glimpses of your first waterfalls and pools. Man, it was so hot and it made me want to swim so bad!

We wandered down to one side to visit the waterfalls on the A-Route; the sign said it would take 2-3 hours, but we were making such good time that we continued onto B-Route, which included a boat ride across the main lake. Unfortunately, due to the time crunch, we were unable to see the upper lakes which are supposed to be spectacular. But I was still giddy about the experience as it was a nice detour. The first of many amazing sunsets in Croatia also set the mood. We got off the boat and made the way up a steep climb to wait for the park bus, serving the second entrance and returning us to the first entrance.

The park is really nice and laid out well. There seems to be a ton to do. It is a little nerve wracking to walk on some of the narrow paths and bridges, but for that me that set the natural setting of the over all park. Highly recommend a stop here - if you have time, spend the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

I'm on a boat!I'm on a boat!
I'm on a boat!

Christoff so excited to go sailing
RastokeRastoke
Rastoke

on the way to Plitvice


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb