Ciao Croatia


Advertisement
Published: September 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm still in Croatia and not Italy.

Spent my last days exploring the Plitvice Lakes National Park which has stunning turquoise lakes and waterfalls. The guide book says this is the region where the war for independence began, and there are still landmines in the area. No hiking anywhere in Croatia unless on marked paths or without a local. Someone told me they send out some sheep just in case - mmm, mutton stew?

Also made the most of the Adriatic Coast by chilling out in Pula on the Istrian Peninsula. Pula's very close to Italy and Germany, and everyone speaks both languages here more so than English. Interesting Roman architecture and relics. The Amphitheatre is the best preserved one around; built in the 1st century AD and used to hold gladiatorial combats.

Croatia's been great but it's now time to move over the border to Slovenia. Ciao!





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

FishFish
Fish

The park is one enormous aquarium as there is no fishing allowed
Last swimLast swim
Last swim

Found the perfect secluded swim spot in Pula
Temple of AugustusTemple of Augustus
Temple of Augustus

Built between 2 BC and AD 14


14th September 2006

beautiful pics...i'm thinking of going next summer...any recommendations...is it really expensive? besides being beautiful is it worth going there?
29th October 2006

How can you doubt! You must go there and see how beautiful it is!
7th December 2009

Wow never realized Croatia was so stunning! Can't wait to go!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb