Lithou island


Advertisement
Jersey's flag
Europe » Channel Islands » Guernsey
November 22nd 2021
Published: November 22nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lihou Island, the Most Westerly Channel Island



A quarter of a mile off the west coast of Guernsey, Lihou island is a small heaven of peace and beauty, only accessible by foot when the causeway is uncovered.

Gill took us across the tidal causeway where just a couple of hours earlier the area would have been completed covered by the sea and the island cut off.



On the walk across parts of the causeway had granite blocks deeply imbedded these were created to help the horses and ponies take a less perilous walk when shifting supplies.



On the island we saw the ruins of the priory of St. Mary which is believed to have been established by Benedictine monks in the 12th century. The monks of the priory were by no means generally popular with the local people, who suspected them of devil worship.



We learnt about the history of the harvesting of seaweed as far back as the early nineteenth century.



The original house on the island is no longer standing and the current house, before renovation, was used for target practice by heavy
artillery during the German Occupation during World War II.

It has since been rebuilt as accommodation for up to 30 people with school groups using it as an educational resource.



https://www.heygo.com/tours/lihou-island-the-most-westerly-channel-island


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb