Bloody borders


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Sofia City » Sofia
November 5th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well umm dont know where Caroline left the last one!! Think we just left 2 days of glorious sunshine on the med and headed north (getting sick of Turkey) We first went to see the calcium pools at Pamukkale and so old ruined city the pools could have been fantastic but as water wasnt flowing over the edges it was quite dull. From there to Ephesus another ruined city from way back when Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem....way over priced being a tourist destination and alittle concrete than one would have like and coach parties coming out our ass. So a nice day in the sun then to Gallipoli for Aussie rememberance and to see the sites from world war one! (Had to educate caroline on what happened here) While free camping we meet a nice Welsh couple doing the same and shared stories and wine late into the night.

Then into Greece (Land off over pricing) spent a day in the pissing day drivingwhile figuring what to do as we have arrived here 10 days earlier than thought. Bulgaria was the plan and to see to 2 monasteries the first Melnik which was basically fallind down but being a weekend hundreds of people had gathered to bother god, the mountain scenery where it is situated is great rock formations . A freezing cold night next to a river ushered in winter for us, the next was rila and amazing frescos and a donut stand (yippee and Yummy) Sofia to find the Macedonian embassy for info to see if i needed a vias not much to note here, except for the DUK being wheel clamped we turned up back from the city centre to see the clampers just leaving.......still cant figure out why the ticket inspector watched us park up and walk away without saying a word!!!

North to Belogradchik to see a fortress first via another strange random monument (Bless the Commies) via the Iskar gorge which was a nice drive not much too look at and our first snow!! Snow started coming out our backside heading further north, caroline was like a child (More than normal) and driving was abit more hairy (Bulgarians dont slow for snow or poor visibility) safe to Bela to see the fortress in mountainess rock chimneys and snow, was a great time to see it, probably better than a clear day. Headed to the Serbian border in a less snow than the day before and the ritual ofspending the last of currency for the country. The Bulgarian borders where kick ass freindly and very cheerful saying bye bye we crossed the border.

Into Serbia where they wanted 130euros for car insurance........................................And so ends the Serbia chapter

Back to Sofia to buy Macedonia car insurance for 80euros and the insurer that we where directed to by the Macedonian embassy doesnt sell Macedonian car insurance!?!?!?!!?

So we sit in Sofia (Not much to see or do here) in a fantastic hotel room for peanuts and a menu we cant understand waiting for washing to dry wondering if we can get into Macedonia on the morrow

Think thats all if not stay tuned!!!










Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb